Chapter Eleven

I wouldn't say I'm avoiding Dylan. I just have made it my personal mission to avoid eye contact at any cost and eat lunch in the library since that day in the mall two weeks ago. Destiny has been bothering me to disclose what happened, but I've dodged every question like a pro. She would just agree with everything that Dylan said and I need my best friend to be on my side for once.

It hasn't been hard avoiding Destiny because I barely see her outside of school since there's always an Uber driver waiting outside to take her to Jasper's house. I don't understand how she manages to pass any of her classes without doing any kind of homework and instead hanging out with her boyfriend until she stumbles in the door at midnight. She said the only days she needs to ride with me are on Fridays since I'm going there too. I've been dreading today since she told me to wait for her after school in the hallway after fifth period.

I'm leaning against my car door, soaking up the last few rays of sunlight before day shifts tonight and it's nearly forty degrees outside. I've already changed into a pair of mid-thigh shorts and a t-shirt with the famous Disney castle on it. I watched as Destiny exited the school building in a tight navy blue crop top and short black skirt. She squinted at the sun before putting on a pair of cat-eye sunglasses that she bought at the flea market last month for 15 dollars (a steal, apparently). She waved excitedly at me from across the parking lot before running; I mean fast- walking since she doesn't run. I got inside the car before she arrived and cold air blasted through the ducks since I turned the car on earlier. She clutched her shoulders and moved to turn the air down, but I swatted it away.

"Not today, it's almost eighty degrees outside. Should've worn something longer if you were going to be cold." She huffed and looked out the window.

"Hows Jasper?" I grit out.

Her mood instantly brightens and she shoves her phone in my face. Thankfully, I'm at a red light so I grab it and see it's her lock screen where there's a picture of the two in his living room. I roll my eyes at his shark tooth necklace, what is this middle school? I don't get to look any further because a car beeps at me. I throw the phone on her lap and continue driving.

"He's so sexy, Scar!" I raise my eyebrows, faking interest. "And strong!"

"So, basically he has no personality and good looks that'll go away in a few years," She glares at me. "Great! I have nothing to worry about."

"For your information," She starts. "He has a bomb ass personality. You just mad that you missed your chance with the brother."

"What are you talking about?" I question and she purses her lips. That's Jasmine telltale time that she's about to spill some tea.

"You ain't hear it from me, but," She looks around for any listening ears in the completely empty car. "I heard him late last night talking to some girl. He was laughing all loud and shit. Jasper even went in there and yelled at him for messing up our sex drive." I burst out laughing while keeping my eyes on the road. She looks at me weirdly, waiting for me to explain.

"That girl was me." She scrunches her eyebrows up in confusion. I laugh remembering when we were in the middle of watching Hairspray when Jasper came in screaming about Jace being too loud. Jace muted himself halfway through Jasper's speech on human decency and didn't come back on for another five minutes. When he returned, his mood was changed and he didn't speak until the end of the movie. Jace didn't even react to my awful rendition of Without Love.

"That's my girl! I knew you would find your very own white boy." I shake my head.

"I promise you, it's nothing like that."

"You've been begging for a boy like him for so long, but when he shows up out of the blue it's like fuck him," I let her keep talking, not bothering to entertain her with a remark. "You guys can be just like the people from that cancer movie-- umm..."