Chapter Twenty- Four

There was darkness. Before it was light.

But that night, there was no light to be found.

Jace was kind. Caring. He refused to kill the ant that was on the kitchen counter just carried it in his hand and let him out on the grass.

But tonight, I didn't see that.

Jace Kingston. Mr. Perfect. Mr. Bottled Up Emotions. Finally snapped.

I watched as his fist connected with Jasper's cheek sending him crashing into the wall. Jasper was quick to react as he lunged at Jace and they toppled on to the ground, sending blows to each other where they knew it would hurt the most.

I remember screaming and I saw their mother in the window. She didn't spare them a second glance. Just let them duke it out on the grass as blood rushed from Jace's nose. Jasper was better skilled at fighting but Jace was stronger.

After watching them, I realized nobody was going to come help me so I had to help myself. I acted calm as I saw the blood dripping from Jace's nose onto his once white t-shirt, but in reality... I was scared shitless

I've witnessed countless fights. It's a daily lunch ritual for somebody to piss somebody off by accident or on purpose and it ends in fists and blood becoming a permanent stain on the cafeteria floor. It was an integral part of high school. Some people like Destiny ran to the scene to record or rave about whoever they hoped would win and others like me were perfectly content waiting for the video to surface on Instagram an hour later.

But this time felt different. All I wanted to do was protect Jace from Jasper's rage, hug him until all his anger faded away. I wanted to save him. Be his hero, but I learned a long time ago that I wasn't the hero type. That didn't mean I wasn't going to try.

I ran to Jace's defense and yanked his shoulder back, trying to get him off. He didn't budge, just stayed on top of Jasper sending jabs to his stomach. Jasper got the upper hand and somehow rolled on top of him and pushed me, sending me falling to the ground beside them.

"TAKE IT BACK!" Jace roared, capturing Jasper's arms and pinning him to the ground. The latter knees him in the stomach and Jace loses his grip and Jasper sends another punch to his cheek.

"What can't handle the truth!" Jasper grunts. Jasper stands up, ready to deliver the next. I stand up, regaining my balance and lunge in front of Jasper. His first stops in what seems like slow motion, inches away from my face.

"GET OUT THE WAY!" He was seething, chest moving rapidly up and down.

"No, not until you promise to stop this!" I pleaded.

"Jace if you don't get your bitch-" He didn't get to finish his sentence before Jace shoved him to the ground.

"Don't call her that." He spoke, quietly. Jace grabbed my hand and pulled me into the house, leaving Jasper outside.

"DON'T GET MAD WHEN YOUR FANTASY DOESN'T TURN OUT LIKE HOW YOU THOUGHT!" Jasper yells through the glass door. I cringe, knowing damn well he's talking about me. Jace is quiet as he leads me upstairs to his room.

"I'm sorry about that." We are sitting in his larger than hotel-sized bathroom. I'm sitting crossed legged on the toilet as he patches himself up. He's shirtless and my eyes couldn't leave the bruises along his stomach and ribs. Jace tried to stay strong for me but he winced whenever he moved.

"What happened back there?" He tried to shake his head but stopped as the pain ached through his skull. "Jace, I know you. He said something and if you want me to stay here... I need you to tell me the truth."