Chapter Eighteen

I'm standing at my locker waiting for Destiny when my obnoxious Justin Bieber ringtone blares from my pocket. I groaned, ignoring the disapproving glances from onlookers and pulled out my phone to see a missed call from Jace.

I looked around the crowded hallway to see Destiny nowhere in sight before I snuck off to the bathroom. I made sure it was empty before calling Jace back.

He picked up on the first ring. "Hey, aren't you supposed to be at a game?" I spoke first.

"Funny story, " I heard yelling in the background. "I'm at your school!"

My heart dropped. He doesn't mean my school, right?

"What?"

"I'm at Markland!"

"Oh sweet Jesus," I whispered underneath my breath

"What did you say?"

"Nothing," I shot out, trying to calm my racing heart. "Why are you here?"

"Baseball game. It was a quick change of plans and I wanted to surprise you!" He enthused, his voice light and cheery. Everything that I'm not.

"That's awesome, Jace!"

"So..." he trailed off

"So?"

"When can I see you?"

"Excuse me?" I stammered out.

"I want you to come to my game. Maybe I can meet some of your friends?"

Okay, brain or god or whoever might be listening, what is the best way to get out of this? How do I spare Jace's feelings without completely crushing his soul and taking the childlike wonder out of his eyes?

Easy answer: I can't. But I do know somebody who can.

"Jace, let me call you back." I didn't wait for his response before hanging up.

The person I called picked up on the third ring. "Where you at?" Destiny said. I rolled my eyes and prepared myself for the lecture that would soon come after I said what I had to say.

"Meet me in the bathroom next to my locker." She hung up the phone and the doors swung open revealing my best friend.

"Why are we in here it smells like shit?" I refrain from saying it probably is shit and instead, grab her hands and put on my best pleading face.

"We have a teensy weensy problem. Nothing major... just you know-"

"Spit it out!" She barked, startling me.

"JacehasabaseballgameatMarklandandhewantsmetomeethimtherebutIdontgotherebut-"

"Okay slow it down."

"Jace has a baseball game at Markland and he wants me to meet him there-"

"And he thinks you're already there instead of an hour away so you need my help to make it seem like you're a real student instead of a phony liar."

I send her a dry look. "Sure I guess."

"You know how I feel about this lying thing-"

"But..."

"You my girl and I'll see what I can do." I flung my arms around her neck almost knocking her chunky gold hoop out.

"You're the best!"

"Whatever bitch, you owe me!" Destiny said before sauntering out of the bathroom.

We made it out to the hustle and bustle of the after school hallway and at my locker, we formed a plan.

I called Jace before we got in the car and said I had to stay after for a project but I'll be able to make the game. That should buy us an hour of drive time.