Chapter Twenty- Six

Brielle's in the hospital

My breathing was rapid, as panic flooded through my body. Jace appeared in front of me, eyes filled with worry.

"Scarlett, what's up? Breathe, come on talk to me." His voice was calm as he squeezed my hand. I couldn't focus on him. The only thing I could think of was that text message. The words playing in my mind on repeat.

Brielle's in the hospital

"Brielle's in the hospital." I choked out.

"Your sister?" I nodded, annoying that he would ask such a stupid question.

"Which one? Come on, I'll drive you." I shook my head, even in a panic I couldn't fuck up my story. I couldn't run the risk of him questioning why she was in the hospital in the city instead of the one ten minutes away.

"You're in no position to drive right now!" He tried to reason. Damn it, he was right. My hands were shaking at the thought of my older sister laying in the hospital bed, clinging to her life (if it's that serious.)

"Fine, it's in the city." He nodded without asking questions. I followed him upstairs and he grabbed his keys off the kitchen counter before getting in the car.

"University of Maryland Medical Center: Downtown Campus," I told him and he put it in the GPS.

It read an hour away, I groaned. I hope Jace drove really fast, I can't sit here in worry for an hour.

I watched as we drove past my car sitting alone in the driveway. Damn, I'm really leaving my car here. Not that It would get stolen, but it's my car.

Jace distracted me on our drive with his very off-key singing to Panic at the Disco songs. I was in agony by the time we pulled up in front of the hospital. Large. Daunting. Holding my sister's life in its hands (if it's that serious.)

I didn't realize I hadn't moved from the curb until Jace said, "I'll go in with you and wait with you and your family." That snapped me back to reality.

"NO! I mean it's okay. Go home. I'll text you later."

"Scarlett, I don't want to leave you here."

"You're not, my family's inside. I promise to update you," he didn't look convinced. "I promise Jace that I'll be okay. Please, just go home." He heard the begging in my voice and sighed.

"Okay, but if you need anything! Give me a call." I mustered a smile.

"Of course. Thank you for everything."

"I'd do anything for you." My heart warmed at his words. We didn't say anything else, I just turned around and walked into the hospital.

My nerves returned as I speed walked to the front desk.

"Brielle Johnson!" I shouted at the lady. She told me how to get to her and I took off in a sprint.

I found my parents in the waiting room. My mother's head against my father's chest. They went into high alert when I walked into the room. My mother, rage flared in her eyes turned to relief when she threw her arms around me.

"My baby girl, I'm so happy you're okay!" She cried out.

"Mama, what happened?"

"It was the devil's juice," Dad answered. Alcohol poisoning. Why am I not surprised?

"Will she be okay?" My mother burst out in tears, my heart dropping. Does- does that mean-

"She'll be okay," I sighed in relief at his words.