24) Him

I lie down on her bed, resting my head on the headboard, she is next to me with my arm around her. I feel so angry that I want to smash something, but so drained that I don't want to move.

All of those years, she suffered alone. She had to listen to her father, speaking of Kevin over and over again. I want to hit that Kevin till he bleeds, but at the same time, I can't help feeling angry at Harper for keeping this to herself.

I move, and she looks at me, I sit, crossed legs, and she does the same in front of me. My heart clenches at her bloodshot eyes. I cup her face, and she relaxes to my touch, I rest my forehead on hers.

We stay like that for a moment, I sigh and move my head away, "you have to tell them."

She frowns, "you want me to tell them something that happened years ago?"

"Yes, they deserve to know," I say strictly.

She sighs, "you want me to ruin Kevin's life after all of those years?"

I gape at her, "are you seriously thinking about KEVIN right now?"

She shakes her head, "not thinking of him, but he might have changed. I know my father, Blake; if he knows this, he will do anything it takes to ruin him."

"Of course, he will," I say between clenched teeth, I am really trying not to lose my temper, "He deserves whatever will happen to him."

She rapidly shakes her head, "no! I won't say a word, Blake. The only reason I told you is that I don't want to keep things from you; that's it!"

I clench my fists trying to suppress my anger, a knock comes from the door, and it opens to show Linda.

She smiles, "leaving the party and sneaking..." her eyes land on Harper and her smile drops, "love, are you OK?"

Harper looks away, "I am fine, mom. Just need to use the bathroom."

Harper quickly leaves the room, and my fists clench tighter. Ms Jones' worried eyes rest on me, 

"Blake?"

I sigh and shake my head, "it's not my secret to tell, Ms Jones."

She frowns and stares at me for a while, then she nods, "let's go downstairs."

After a while, Harper comes down as fresh as a daisy; makeup can really do miracles. I am on my way to her when a guy comes and wraps her in a hug. He beams at her, and though she smiles, I could feel that she is tense.

"Harp!" I call when I am a few feet away from her, she relaxes when she sees me. I wrap an arm around her waist and wait for her to introduce us. I look at him, and he seems confused.

She clears her throat, "Blake, that's Kevin, a family friend. Kevin, this is Blake, the playwright and my boyfriend."

"Boyfriend," he says with a laugh, "gosh Harper, never thought that I would hear that word again."

God, I wanna punch his perfect teeth. Kevin is shorter than me by a few centimetres with black hair and green eyes.

"Well, you heard it," I say in a serious tone.

He smiles and extends his hand, "nice to meet you."

I ignore him and look at Harper, "I am gonna grab a glass of lemonade, want some?"

She gives me a look that I can't decipher and shakes her head. I was on my way to the kitchen when he says, "not very friendly, are you?"

I clench my teeth and squeeze my eyes shut; it takes me everything not to kill him right now. I look back, and Harper gives me a pleading look. I breathe heavily through my nose and go to him. He gulps when I come close to his ears and whisper, "I am not used to treating rapists."