Chapter Twenty- One

Start from the beginning

He wasn't looking when I stopped outside of a store with brightly colored lit up words screaming Bookish. The sign is lit up like a marquee and surrounded by an array of various drawings from local artists.

Jace opened the door for me and we were welcomed by a chilliness shielding us from the heat of the outside. I took in the fairy lights lining the dark wooden walls and bookshelves which had recently been pushed to the walls in an attempt to remodel. The bookshelves encased the small store leaving an array of sofas, chairs, and beanbags in the middle. There was a spiral staircase leading up to the cafe where the owner Missy was most likely upstairs making her famous Hot Chocolate.

"Where'd you find this place?" Jace said, scanning the table of stuffed animals stacked neatly in the middle of the store.

"I was out with my parents and stumbled across this magnificent beauty of a store... I think freshman year? The owner Missy is real nice, so is her husband Craig." He looks at me weirdly. "What?"

"Damn you know everybody?" I shrugged.

I mean I come here whenever I get the chance. They've been closed for a month or so because their pipes busted. Missy called me herself and told me. I remember crying in the school bathroom, thinking they would have to close down for good. But they were up and running within a month. Also, it's a black-owned bookstore, the only one I've ever been too. They treat everybody like family here.

"Not everybody, just the owners and their kids and some of the employees..." I trailed off when I caught Missy's eye from the stairs. Her eyes lit up when she saw me and graced me with a warm smile. She looked tired but happy. Her hair was done in cornrows with an apron hiding her deep red blouse and black pants.

"Scarlett, darling!" She walked quickly over to us and threw her arms around me in a hug. Jace stepped out of the way to avoid being smacked in the face.

"I've missed this," I sighed before pulling away. I got a closer glimpse of her stomach and jumped back. "NO!" Her cheeks went red.

"Yes," She rubbed her hand lovingly over her protruding stomach. "It's happening."

Craig and Missy have been trying for a child since they got married almost 6 years ago. She was afraid of missing the clock and the timer was running over considering she was nearly 40. The doctors had lost all hope of her ever having children but I guess she was blessed with a miracle.

"This is amazing." My eyes brimmed with tears.

"God truly sent us an angel." I nodded even though I didn't truly believe the words she was saying.

"Congratulations Ma'am." I forgot Jace was standing next to me. He had his hands in his pockets just watching the scene with a smile on his face.

"Thank you, sweetie," She glanced over to me with raised eyebrows. "Who's this, Scarlett?"

"Jace Kingston, ma'am. I'm a friend of hers." He sounded like he belonged in South Carolina, not a Maryland suburb.

"I've never met one of Scarletts' friends." She isn't talking about just friends anymore.

"Friends, yes. Just friends," I clarified. She paid me no attention. "I just wanted to show him around the shop." I tugged Jace a few feet away before she could make any more suggestions.

"Go ahead. I won't keep y'all here. I expect to talk about this soon, Scarlett." I flashed her a quick smile, pulling Jace further along to the back of the store.

"There's nothing to talk about," I said in a sing-song voice.

We passed by Craig on the way who was carrying a box of books, his hair freshly shaven and his beard growing out nicely. Craig was attractive for an old guy, I'll give him that. He and Missy are prime examples of black don't crack.