Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

Destiny wasn't even listening to those girls instead she was applying lipstick while those girls talked about how good her boyfriend looked in their school uniform.

I stayed after once everybody, even Destiny, but the team was gone. She canceled on our plans, apparently, Jasper is now free and the bitch left me to get some dick.

The team meeting lasted a long time and after they disperse Jace runs over to me. He tried to give me a hug but I held my arm out to stop him.

"No, you're disgusting and sweaty!" His black eye makeup is running and his face is glistening with sweat, not to mention his clothes are covered in dirt.

"Come on, I just won my game and you won't even give your best friend a hug." He tried to move in closer, but I pushed him back again.

"Once you take a shower we can talk about the hug," He was satisfied as we walked back to the parking lot. "Can I get a ride back to your house? Destiny took her car to meet your brother," He grimaced at the mention of Jasper, but quickly covered it up with a grin.

"If you give me a hug," He starts walking towards me, but I turn around straight into a person. A young woman in a pair of extra short shorts and a tank top with Riverside embedded on the front is on the ground in front of me. Her dark brown hair tied into a ponytail is sprayed across the grass.

"Shit, watch where you're going!" The girl muttered angrily. I offer to help her up, but she pushes my hand out the way and stands up herself. There's a piece of grass in her hair but I decide against mentioning it. I don't want to rock the already unstable boat.

"Sorry, I didn't see you there." I try to apologize. Her eyes in a tight glare as she sizes me up.

"Obviously-" She cuts herself off, focusing on something behind me. Her face turns red and she takes her hair out of the ponytail, running her fingers hastily through it. "JASPER!"

Of course, this girl likes him. She pushes me out the way and throws herself at Jace. His jaw tightened. I watched as he clenched and unclenched his fists. I wanted to reach out and let him know that somebody was here who wanted him and not his brother.

"It's Jace." His voice clipped. Her eyes widened before reverting back to the coldness that she gave me.

"Oh," She brushed past us but before going back down to the track. We watched as the girl turned back around. "Tell your brother I'm looking for him!" She yelled before disappearing around the gate

I rolled my eyes and when I looked back Jace was already halfway to the car. I ran after him just barely making it and almost running over a pair of freshman looking girls watching the lacrosse team.

"Wait!" I grabbed onto his shoulder, stopping him in his tracks. "Jace, come on!"

"What do you want from me!" He turned around abruptly and I slammed into his chest.

"I'm sorry that she thought you were Jasper. But... doesn't this happen a lot?" Shouldn't he be used to it by now? They are identical twins, it's an easy mistake.

"Doesn't mean I have to like it," He grunts out before snatching his keys out his pocket and unlocking the door.

"I know, but-"

"Do you?" He snapped. "Do you know what it's like being looked over your entire life? Always being the backup. Meant to feel lesser than the person right next to you."

For once, I understood why Jace was distraught every time Jasper walked into the room. He was a constant reminder of everything that Jace wasn't. I feel like that even when I don't have a twin to remind me of it every time I look in the mirror.