Meeting The Father

"Why didn't you tell me this before?! Where was the security? They are useless, seriously!" Marcus shouted as he picked up the receiver of the phone and dialed someone's number, "I will fire them all! Someone invaded Silas's property and they didn't even saw him coming or going! That's insane." Marcus was very angry.

That's how Marcus reacted when he came to know about my father visiting me earlier today. I spent the whole day with Elizabeth and Maria but, I didn't tell them about my father – I didn't know how they would react – especially Elizabeth. I put the paper in which my father's contact number was written safely and acted like nothing happened the whole day – until Marcus came home. At first, I thought about not telling him about my father either but, then realized that my father might help find those documents. Therefore, I had to tell him.

"Don't fire them, Marcus! Listen to me – and please put the receiver down." I tried to calm him and took the receiver from his hand before putting it back on the phone set.

Marcus exhaled loudly and covered his face, "I can't believe he was here!" he said before uncovering his face, "Are you okay? Did he hurt you?" he asked me while taking my hand in his.

I shook my head, "No, he didn't hurt me. He told me that he would never hurt me. He wants to talk to me but, he couldn't talk here." I told him and then took the piece of paper from my pocket, "He gave me his contact number." I said and handed it to Marcus, "Marcus, he might help find the stolen documents." I told him.

Marcus was staring at the paper with a scowl on his face before he shook his head and threw the paper at the desk, "You are not meeting him. I know he is your father but, he tried to hurt too, Charlie – I am not taking any chance." Marcus said.

"Marcus, but look at the bright side – he might be able to help us!" I exclaimed.

"And what if this is all a trap, huh? What if he wants to meet you to hurt you? Charlie, as I said I am not taking any chances. I will trace the number and try to track your father and people who are behind this all." He told me.

"Why are you choosing the hard way when he is ready to talk to me?" I asked him before sighing, "Listen, Marcus, I have questions okay? I have hundreds of questions in my mind that won't let me sleep at night. I want to know why he lied to me and left me like that. I don't know about you, Marcus but, I will be meeting him." I told him.

Marcus frowned, "What if he hurt you, Charlie? He pointed the gun at you once – he can do it again." Marcus objected.

"He didn't know it was me! He would never hurt me – he promised me!" I said loudly. Marcus didn't say anything – he just looked at me quietly. I must look pathetic – defending the man that tried to kill me. During the whole day, all I thought was how my father would have never hurt me – I have been trying to convince myself that my father didn't know that it was me or else he would have never pointed the gun on my head.

I calmed down a bit and sighed, "Marcus, I – I need answers and only my father can give it to me." I said calmly to him.

Marcus was silent for a few seconds, "Okay." He replied short. He scratched his forehead and leaned in the chair, "But, I will come with you. I am sorry, Charlie but, I can't risk your life again. You might believe him but, I don't." Marcus added.

I wetted my lips with my tongue and nodded, "All right – fine, I am okay with that." I replied him with a small smile.

I get it – he doesn't trust him – I shouldn't even but, I don't know why in my heart I know that he will not hurt me. The way he was looking at me today – with guilt and sadness in his eyes screams for the untold story of our family. Maybe I wouldn't have met him – maybe I would have tried to move on if I knew about my mother. If he is alive then my mother should be as well.