Happy Birthday, Kathie!

The whole night I kept tossing around and hardly got any sleep. My mind was on Kathie and Marcus – I couldn't digest the fact that Kathie can't celebrate her birthday. Susan's death has been a big blow for Marcus and I completely get it but, Kathie is just a child and it is already sad enough that she will have to grow without a mother and now she can't celebrate her birthday as well – that's unfair. Marcus doesn't get it – he can't always keep Kathie within his four walls. He is suffocating himself and his daughter and I can't let that happen. I can't see them drowning in their sorrows. She is a child now and she doesn't know what happens around her but, she will grow up and I don't want her to all alone when she is older.

I couldn't sleep much so I got up before the sun could rise and went into the kitchen – I am going to bake a cake for Kathie. I don't care if Marcus likes it or not – I will bake a cake and I will go to his penthouse and celebrate her birthday – it doesn't matter that only I will be celebrating it – I will not let Marcus ruin her birthday.

For the next few hours, I was busy baking a chocolate cake for Kathie – luckily I had all the ingredients to bake a birthday cake at home. I decided that I will use a pink color for frosting. I have a princess themed cake in my mind – I just wish that I will be able to make it. After baking the sponge – I let it cool on the kitchen counter and meanwhile, I decided to go out and buy some gifts for her. I didn't have much money but, I had enough to buy a gift or two for her.

I went to the nearest mall and bought a kitchen set for her. It was pink in color – it came with pots and pans, utensils, and adorable carved food. It was something that Kathie would love because she is always trying to get her hands on the kitchen utensils. Next, I bought a few multi-colored helium balloons for her. As I was making my way back to my apartment – people were looking at me weirdly and didn't care.

By four in the evening – I was done with the cake. It didn't look as I thought it would but, it didn't look bad either. I made a chocolate cake with strawberry frosting. I also wrote 'Happy Birthday Kathie' and I also didn't forget to decorate it with multi-colored M&Ms. After I was done with the cake – I wrapped the gift in a pink and blue wrapping paper – it took more than one wrapping paper to cover it as the box was quite big.

After taking a shower and changing into a blue dress that ended till my knees – I called the cab. The driver was humble enough to help me put the gift, cake, and balloons in the car. I gave him the address and soon we were on our way to Marcus's house. During the whole ride I was preparing myself for the scolding I was about to get from Marcus. He won't like my presence at his place when he certainly wants to be all alone with his daughter.

When reached this place – the man sitting on the reception in the lobby told me that Mr. Harrison has told him not to allow anyone to come up at his penthouse. I pleaded and pleaded but, the man didn't look convinced. The cake would melt if I'd wait any longer so, I decided to call Mr. Harrison. After a few rings, he finally answered the call.

"Yes, Miss McGill. Is everything is okay?" he answered. I could hear Kathie's babbling from the background.

I sighed, "Please tell the man in the lobby to let me in." I asked him while glancing at the bald man standing in my way.

There was a small pause, "What are you doing here?" he asked.

I exhale loudly, "I am here for Kathie's birthday." I said to him.

He sighed, "Please go away, Charlotte." He said lowly.

I shook my head, "I am not going anywhere. I have a cake and it's melting so, just – please let me in." I pleaded.

"Charlotte, go away. You are not coming up here. Go back home." He gritted out.

"I don't care what you say. I am not going anywhere – I will spend the whole night here but, I swear to God that I will not go." I promised.