Jobless

Charlotte McGill.

"Charlie, it's okay. You'll get another job. Stop worrying." Maria said sympathetically.

"It's not about losing the job. It's just— I got way too attached with Ricca and Mose in the past two years, and now all of the sudden they are leaving. It's just too hard to accept that they'll be gone within a few days. I'll miss them terribly." I sniffed and whipped off the tears off my face.

Ricca and Mose are the kids I have been taking care of for the last two years and now they are migrating to Barcelona, where their father works. It's just too hard to say goodbye to them. I got overly attached to them, and now I can't stop weeping. Call me an overly emotional person but, that's who I am— I never react moderately. It is either extreme or nothing. I can literary get attached to someone or something within a minute.

"Come on, Charlie. I know it's really hard to say goodbye but, sometimes we are forced to do things we don't want to do." Maria solaced.

"You are right." I sighed.

"You know what? Let's go out for lunch today. Just you and I, and then maybe we could catch a movie as well. It has been so long since we've spent some quality time together. What do you say?" Maria suggested.

"Sound good but, what about call in for pizza and watch some comedy movie at home? I am not in a mood to going out and anyways, this sweatshirt is way too comfortable to change." I asked

"Of course you don't want to." She rolled her eyes playfully, "As you say, best friend. So pizza it is?" She asked while standing up from the couch with the help of her crutches. I just nodded in reply and watched her vanishing into her room.

I'm very socially awkward. I don't feel comfortable in the crowd, I don't make friends easily and I don't go clubbing or some senseless parties. I am a very homey kind of girl. So if anyone would ask me to go out or call in for pizza. I'll choose pizza.

I believe in my comfort, even if it doesn't impress others. Everyone used to call me boring at my school. I remember how no one even asked me to prom, I was completely invisible to them — but then, I didn't mind because I had my eyes on only one guy. I'm a very sensitive person and I don't want heartbreaks— I'm afraid of falling in love and getting the rejection, again.

"All right! So, the pizza will be here in thirty minutes." I heard Maria's voice, snapping me out of my thoughts. I heard some clinking voices and after a minute Maria appeared from the kitchen, "Charlie, don't you have any wine?" Maria asked.

I turned around to face her, "Since when did you start liking wine? From what I remember you hated alcoholic drinks." I asked.

"That's not true. I used to drink wine before— just not much." She answered. Lair. She once tried it and immediately started disliking it. It was some cheap wine from Walmart — I guess.

I rolled my eyes, "You know, Silas is spoiling the good girl." I commented.

"Hey! He isn't spoiling me."

I chuckled at her response, "I never said it was you."

"Funny." She said while rolling her eyes, "All right fine, yes— last week he asked to taste this wine and, my dear was it good, expensive but, extremely good." Maria said dreamily. I laughed at her expressions. She chuckled and sat on the couch beside me.

"Hey, speaking of Silas — I haven't seen him for the last few days. Where is he?" I questioned.

"San Francisco." She answered, "Silas and Marcus both had to go to Francisco. They'll be back the day after tomorrow."