put me in my place

twenty

CAROLINE JOHNSON

"Haley," I whispered as I lightly shook my best friend. Chief started licking her face in an effort to help wake her up. "It's time for you to get up."

"Five more minutes," Haley groaned as she shifted in the bed.

"I already gave you five more minutes," I laughed.

She rubbed her eyes and slowly opened them before she jolted out of the bed. "I'm getting married today."

"You're getting married today," I repeated as I smiled at her.

Haley spent the night at my place last night because her and Jackson decided to not see each other until she's walking down the aisle. Jackson and his best man, and older brother, Luke, stayed at Jackson and Haley's.

Jackson and Haley wanted a small wedding with a small wedding party so it's just Luke and I. They also asked Elijah and Ella to be a part of the wedding as ring bearer and flower girl.

"Oh my gosh," she whispered, running a hand through her hair. "Does being nervous mean that I'm gonna be a terrible wife?"

"No, not at all! Haley, you are going to be an incredible wife. Jackson is so lucky to have you."

"You're right," she said more confidently. "Jackson is lucky to have me."

We both burst out into a fit of laughter. "Come on soon-to-be Mrs. Roberts, it's time to make some breakfast."

We walked downstairs to the kitchen and decided on having her favorite breakfast: pancakes, bacon and mimosas.

"Are you okay?" Haley asked hesitantly as she mixed together the pancake mix. "I can't imagine how hard this is on you."

"Don't worry about that, Haley. I'm okay, I promise."

"But you'll tell me if it gets to be too much for you?" She asked, pointing the spoon at me.

"I promise," I said, flipping the bacon.

Once Haley and I finished making our breakfast, along with Chief's, we sat down at the table and started eating.

"Are you nervous to see Chase today?"

"My goodness. All the hard hitting questions this morning," I laughed.

"Well, as your best friend I'm obligated to ask these questions."

"Mhm, okay," I chuckled. I took a deep breath and thought about it for a moment. "I'd be lying if I said I wasn't. I haven't seen him or spoken to him in three weeks," I sighed.

"Do you want to talk to him?"

"Yes and no, if that makes sense."

"It makes sense."

We sat there eating our breakfast in silence before Haley spoke up again.

"Do you think there's a chance you two would ever get back together?"

"I don't know. Maybe. It would take a lot for me to trust him again and to get to the place we were before all of this happened."

"That's understandable."

"I do miss him though," I said just above a whisper.

"I know you do," Haley softly smiled at me.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

"Hales, you look absolutely beautiful," I choked out, a few tears rolling down my cheeks, as I looked at my best friend in her wedding dress.

Her dress was a sleeveless, v-neck and a-line dress with lace detailing in the bodice and scattered throughout the train. It was the first dress that she tried on all those months ago and knew right away that it was the one.