second chance

thirty-two

CAROLINE JOHNSON

"You take my hand and drag me head first, fearless," I quietly sang as I flipped the bacon. "And I don't know why but, with you I'd dance, in a storm in my best dress, fearless."

I spun around the tiny kitchen and ran straight into a strong pair of arms. I looked up and saw Chase with the biggest smirk etched on his face.

"Don't stop because of me," Chase laughed. "Keep going!"

I stuck my tongue out at Chase and turned back around towards the bacon.

"You know I love seeing you dance around in this kitchen," Chase said, pressing his chest against my back and wrapping his arms around my waist.

"Well good, cause I'm not gonna stop doing it anytime soon," I smiled up at Chase.

"Well good," Chase leaned down and pressed a kiss to my lips. "Need me to get the plates and stuff ready?"

"Yes please," I smiled, turning off the burner.

Chase grabbed two paper plates from the cabinet and filled two coffee cups up with the coffee that I had made a few minutes earlier.

"This looks delicious," Chase said, looking at the spread that was laid out on the counter.

The 2021 season starts today so it calls for a semi-big breakfast with bacon, biscuits and gravy, and fried eggs.

"You've got a big day ahead so ya gotta eat a good meal."

"Thank you for taking such good care of me," Chase said, kissing my temple before he took his plate and cup to the table.

I grabbed my plate and cup and walked over to the table, sitting down across from Chase. We said a quick prayer over the food and then started eating.

"Are you nervous?" I asked Chase.

"About what?" Chase asked, looking up at me.

"About getting back in the car."

"I'd be lying if I said there isn't some part of me that's not nervous but I think I'm more excited," Chase said. "Are you nervous?"

"I think you already know the answer to that," I chuckled, "but I don't want to say anything that might cause you more stress or anxiety."

"But I want to talk about this with you," Chase held his hand out across the table and I gladly took hold of it.

"I am nervous," I sighed. "I mean, you almost died the last time you were in a car. I almost lost you, Chase," I said through tears.

"I know. I know," Chase rubbed his thumb against the back of my hand. "We never really talked about the accident once we got home and for that, I'm sorry. I'm sorry that you had to sit there and watch it all happen, knowing that there was nothing you could do to stop it. And I know that you probably spent every day that we were in that hospital reliving the day that Spencer died. I'm sorry I couldn't protect you from that and I'm sorry that I couldn't protect you from the risks of this job. But, I promise to try and be as careful as I can possibly be every time I get in the car."

"I just felt so helpless."

"I know," Chase whispered.

He scooted over towards the wall and patted the empty space next to him. I stood up from my chair and sat next to Chase, laying my head down on his chest. Chase kissed the top of my head and wrapped his arm around my shoulder.