tin man

twenty-five

CAROLINE JOHNSON

I woke up to the sound of both Chase and Chief snoring their asses off. I couldn't help but chuckle a little bit at my two boys.

I quietly got out of the bed and made my way to the bathroom to get a shower. I turned the shower on and let the water warm up before getting in.

I'm exhausted so this warm shower is doing wonders for me. Last night, a group of us hung out around the track and made a bonfire and just kicked back.

When I got out of the shower, I wrapped the towel around my body and did my skincare routine. Once I had finished, I quietly opened the door to see the boys still knocked out and snoring. I went into the closet and grabbed a pair of sweatpants and one of Chase's t-shirts. While I was in the closet, I went ahead and picked out my outfit that I would wear later today for the race.

Once I got dressed, I went out to the main area of the motorhome and sat down n the couch, turning on the TV to watch Keeping Up With the Kardashians.

"Good morning, darling," I heard Chase say behind me. I felt him press a kiss onto the top of my head.

"Good morning," I smiled, looking up at him. "Come sit with me."

Chase sat down next to me, pulling me into his side. As we sat there for hours, I realized the time was coming to start getting ready for the race and my stomach was in knots.

Knowing the risk that Chase takes every week by getting into that car is terrifying to me. To think that one little thing could go wrong and I could lose him is a thought that shakes me to my core.

I can't lose Chase.

Once the episode we were watching had ended, I sat up and turned the TV off.

"You alright babe?" Chase asked.

"Yeah, I'm okay," I whispered, smiling as I looked back at him. "Come on, you gotta start getting ready so you won't be late."

I stood up from the couch and started walking back to the bedroom but Chase grabbed my arm before I could go any further. He pulled me into his chest and wrapped his arms around my waist while my arms instinctively wrapped around his torso. When I laid my head on Chase's chest and heard his heartbeat, I completely lost it.

I have this strange feeling in the pit of my stomach that something bad was going to happen today.

"I'm gonna be okay Caroline," Chase whispered as he rubbed small circles on my back.

"But you don't know that," I fought, looking up at him with my tear-stained cheeks.

Chase opened his mouth but didn't say anything. He just stood there, looking at me. I could see the wheels turning in his head.

He knows I'm right.

"I don't want to lose you," I sighed looking down at the floor.

"Hey," Chase whispered, lifting my head up so I could look in his eyes. "You won't lose me. I'm not going anywhere."

Chase slowly leaned down and placed a soft kiss on my lips.

"Promise me you'll be careful?" I asked, holding out my pinky finger.

"I promise," Chase said, wrapping his pinky around mine.

"Okay," I sighed, "we really have to start getting ready so you won't be late."

"I love you," Chase said, kissing my forehead.

"And I love you."

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

"It sure is a nice day to go racin'," Chase said after opening ceremonies had finished.

The pit in my stomach feels like it's grown triple the size it was in the bus. I feel like I'm going to throw up.

Chase got into the car and once he had gotten adjusted, I handed him his helmet.

"Be safe. Kick ass. I'll see you in Victory Lane. I love you with all my heart," I said just as I have every week before I head to the pit box.

"I love you," Chase said. I leaned in through the window and kissed Chase before I left to let Alan and Chase do their thing.

"You okay?" Bill asked when I got up to the pit box.

"Yeah, just a little nervous," I whispered so Cindy couldn't hear me.

"He'll be alright," Bill said, patting my leg.

"You're right. I just always get a little nervous before a race."

"That's normal," Bill assured me.

When Alan came up to the box he handed me my headset. I put it on and connected the radio to be able to hear everything.

"All right fellas. Let's go to work. Appreciate all the efforts," Alan said.

"Feel like today's gonna be a good one. Thank y'all for everything," Chase said through the radio.

The green flag was waving and the race was underway.

| stage 1 |

"Chase Elliott is your stage one winner!"

| stage 2 |

"Stage two winner," Eddie said. "One more stage to go."

| stage 3 |

"Last lap here. The 11 is coming up pretty quickly but you got him."

I was on the edge of my seat, watching as Chase came up on the back straightaway. Denny had gotten significantly closer but Chase was doing an incredible job of blocking.

"Come on," I whispered.

Denny bumped Chase's left rear and my heart stopped as the back of Chase's car went up into the wall.

It felt as though time had slowed down and I was watching everything happen in slow motion.

The cars behind Chase had nowhere to go and no time to slow down. All I could hear was metal clashing against metal as Joey rammed into the driver's side of Chase's car at full speed. A scream escaped my lips as I watched Chase get tossed around like he was a rag doll. I watched helplessly as his car flew into the air because of the force of impact of cars smashing into him. His car flew into the catch fence, causing everyone's heart to stop. HIs car landed on the track, on the hood of his car.

"Talk to me when you can," Alan said.

There was no response from Chase.

Flames started coming from the car, and as I looked closer, I could see oil leaking.

"You're on fire bud. The medics are on their way. Hang in there."

"Caroline," I heard Chase whisper through the radio.

"Chase! I'm here, baby, I'm here. You're gonna be okay!"

When the medics got to Chase, he still hadn't gotten out of the car or even pulled his window net down. After he said my name, we tried to get another response from him but there was just silence coming through.

After fifteen minutes, they had finally gotten Chase out of the car and into the ambulance. Bill, Cindy, and I immediately jumped down from the pit box and ran towards the infield care center with tears running down my cheeks.

As we approached the care center, a NASCAR official stopped us to say that they were taking him directly to the hospital. The official took us on the golf cart over to Bill and Cindy's car that was parked in the drivers lot. We all quickly thanked the official and got in the car and headed to the hospital.

Dear God, don't let me lose him.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━