the long way

four

CHASE ELLIOTT

| flashback |

"Are you playing tonight or just watching?" Jackson asked as we walked up to the ball field.

"I think I'm just gonna watch tonight, but if you need a fill-in or anything, I'll play."

Jackson nodded his head and got his glove out of his bag so we could throw the ball around before everyone else got here.

A few of my friends had gotten together this summer and created a baseball "league", with some other guys they knew from Dahlonega, to give themselves something to do instead of just sitting inside all day and playing video games. Since the weather in Georgia is still nice in September, they still played a game once a week since school has started back up.

Even though I don't play most of the time, I still love coming and hanging out because it gives me a sense of normalcy in my life that isn't so normal with all the racing and weekends spent at the track.

"Jackson!" We turned to look in the direction of where the voice came from and there were two girls walking towards us.

The one girl, who I had already met, was Jackson's girlfriend, Haley, but the other girl I had never met before. But God, she's gorgeous. Medium, blonde hair that fell just below her shoulders, ocean blue eyes, dimples, a smile that is as bright as the sun, and tan skin.

"Who the hell is that with Haley?" I asked Jackson.

"Oh, that's Caroline, Haley's best friend!"

"Wow," I said, never taking my eyes off of her.

"And she has a boyfriend."

"Hey, I'm just admiring her beauty. Never said I was gonna ask her on a date or anything," I said throwing my hands up in defense.

Jackson rolled his eyes at me and greeted Haley with a kiss on the cheek.

"Hey, Chase!" Haley said, hugging me. "Oh! Chase, this is Caroline. Caroline, this is Chase." She said as she pulled away from the hug.

"Hey, it's nice to meet you." Caroline's strong, Georgia accent was evident in every word she said.

"You too." Haley and Jackson started talking amongst themselves which left Caroline and I standing there, slightly awkward, neither one of us knowing what to say.

"I've never seen you at these games before. Are you new to town?" Caroline asked, breaking the silence between us.

"Uh no. I've lived here almost my entire life. I'm just super busy and can rarely make it to the games." I explained.

"Oh okay!"

"Alright, we're gonna go get a seat but we'll see y'all after the game," Haley said, kissing Jackson, and then she and Caroline walked off.

"Take a picture, it'll last longer," Jackson said smirking.

"Oh, shut up," I said, slapping Jackson's shoulder before we went back to throwing around the ball.