mine would be you

seventeen

CHASE ELLIOTT

"You ready to get your ass beat today?" Ryan joked as we walked out of drivers' meeting.

"Are you ready to get your ass beat today?" I countered.

"Ha, you wish," Ryan scoffed.

When we got outside, a golf cart was waiting for me to take me back to the motorhome.

"I'll see you out there," I smirked as I got on the golf cart and rode away.

When I walked into the motorhome, Caroline was standing at the counter in the kitchen looking like she was getting ready to fix lunch.

"There's my beautiful girl," I smiled as I closed the door behind me. Caroline turned around and smiled when she saw me.

"And there's my handsome guy," she said, wrapping her arms around my neck and placing a gentle kiss on my lips.

"What's for lunch?"

"Well, I was thinking sandwiches, but we can do something else if you want."

"No, that's perfect," I said as I placed a kiss on Caroline's temple. "Do you mind making mine so I can get changed?"

"Not at all! What would like on it?"

"Turkey, lettuce, cheese, tomato, mayo, and mustard," I said as I walked back to the bedroom.

I quickly changed into my Kelly Blue Book firesuit and walked out just as Caroline was finishing up our sandwiches.

"Thank you for making mine," I said, taking my sandwich from Caroline's hands.

"You're welcome," she smiled at me.

"Are you nervous for the race today?" Caroline asked as we sat down at the table.

"A little bit, yeah. The Brickyard is a big race for anyone's career. You know dad won this race in 2002?"

"Really?" She intrigued.

"Yeah!"

"Do you remember it at all?"

"I have some vague memories of that day, which is really cool. It was a huge win - one of the biggest wins of his career. And it was neat to see it all from the inside, you know? It's cool to look back on it now and to see the pictures and to be there in them," I paused for a moment as memories of that day came flooding back. Caroline placed her hand on top of mine and rubbed her thumb across the back of my hand. "I know how much that win meant to him. It'd be so cool to win here - to make him proud."

"He'll always be proud of you, no matter what." I softly smiled at Caroline and leaned over the table to kiss her.

"You're amazing, you know that?"

"I try to be," she shrugged with a smirk on her face.

"And I think this might be the best turkey sandwich that I've ever had," I said with my mouth full.

"Well, what can I say? I am a master sandwich maker," Caroline joked.

"I'll say," I said taking another bite from my sandwich.

When we had finished our lunch, I sat on the couch and scrolled through Instagram and Twitter while Caroline got dressed. After a few minutes, she walked out in cut off denim shorts and one of my retro t-shirts that she had stolen from my closet.

"I swear. You look better in my shirts than I do," I said as she walked back into the living room area.

"Oh, stop it."