CHAPTER TWELVE

A couple hours later me and my foster parents hit the road to Silver Bay, Minnesota. We soon met up with Drake who asked for a ride and, as he predicted, my foster father allowed him to ride along. Silver Bay is about 5 hours away or so Theresa said. Martin and Theresa attempted to make conversation with me and Drake for the first hour until they gave up trying, switching on the radio instead.

It's been two hours stuck in this metal death trap that people call a car. Both Theresa and Drake are asleep, I can't think straight and that stupid radio is hurting my ears. I can't take this much longer. I can feel myself growing agitated. My feet tap restlessly and my skin feels itchy. I start gnawing the back of my knuckles, it's a bad habit I have. I taste blood in my mouth. I examine my knuckles. They are covered in teeth marks and blood. Was I really biting that hard? I need to get out of here. I need to move. I need to be free.

Just a little longer. I kept telling myself. They'll have to stop for gas or something soon right? Thats when the radio screeches with static. I cover my ears. "Aagh! Would someone shut that thing off? Please..." Stupid over sensitive ears!

The static seems to wake up Theresa who turns the radio off. "Martie? You sure we're going right way?" She says drifting back to sleep. Silence. Martin doesn't answer and Theresa is asleep again. Maybe he doesn't quite know where we are...

I look out of the window, attempting to distract myself. We're on a really quiet road with trees on either side. Surely this isn't the right way to Silver Bay, shouldn't there be other cars around? Or at least a paved road? I get the sudden feeling I'm being watched again. I search the passing landscape and I'm sure I saw a quick glimpse of two red eyes watching me from the woods on the side of the road. No, I'm sure it's just my imagination. Being stuck in this small space must be driving me crazy.

Shouldn't Martin stop and rest or something? He's been driving for quite a while... "Martin? Aren't you tired? Don't you think we should pull over for a bit?"

Without him answering I feel the car speed up slightly... what's going on?

"Martin...?"

He doesn't even look at me. The car continues to slowly pick up speed. Something in the back of my head is telling me that something is very wrong here...

"Martin slow down! Where are we going?!"

This thing is going way too fast for my liking...

"No where," he says without any emotion in his voice. And that was the last thing I heard before everything went black...