CHAPTER SEVEN

I walked into class and instantly knew everyone was staring at me. I kept my head low and went to sit down about two rows from the back of the class. Great job at trying to lay low Jess... GREAT job at doing that!

I feel something hit my back. Great. You would have thought that after lunch people would leave me alone, but no. It's probably a note telling me how weird I am and that I should go kill myself, people throw those at me alot...

I pick up the scrap of paper that has been folded into a jet. I unfold it and read what it says.

Hey Jessica

Sorry for having to communicate this way but I really wanted to thank you for knocking some sense into Lexy back there. I know you did it for your own reasons, but thanks to you she'll hopefully leave the rest of us weird kids alone.

P.S. nice moves back there. I wouldn't mind having you on my side in PE today, how's about we team up?

See you then Jess

The note catches me off guard... I've never received a letter that hasn't been given to me to hurt me, but this note was to thank me? I look to see if the writer put his or her name on it, but there's nothing... I look back to see if I can spot the person who may have thrown it, but no one stands out.

"I guess I'll have to wait till PE then..." I mumble to myself and shove the letter into my pocket as the teacher, Mr Tyrel, walks in.

He stands at his desk and scans the class until his eyes land on me. His mood seems to become grim. "Nyte? Join me out in the hallway for a minute if you don't mind."

Let me tell you, the only thing worse than getting called out in front of the whole class, is having to get up and walk outside while you hear the kids behind you whispering things about you behind your back. "What did she do?" "Is this about the fight earlier?" "I heard she almost killed Lexy, they had to get 3 guys to pull her off!"

I exit the class and stand in the hall. Mr Tyrel stands next to me, leaning against the wall. He is about 24, with black-brown hair, deep green eyes and perfectly tanned muscular arms. Practically all of the girls, and some teachers even, have a crush on him. Pathetic. But I must admit, he is the easiest teacher to be around, you just feel comfortable around him.

"Jessica..." he said with disappointment clearly in his voice, "I suppose you know what happens now."

"Yeah..."

"Yeah? That all you got to say for yourself? No "I'm sorry." or "It was an accident."? No "She started it"? Nothing?"

"It wasn't an accident and she did start it, but I'm not going to say any of that," I said looking him in the eyes, "and I'm not going to pretend I'm sorry cause I'm not and if given the choice I don't think I would change what I did to her..."

He regarded me with amusement which surprised me. He stood up straight and walked around so that he was standing in front of me. He bent down slightly so that we were on the same level.

"I must say I'm impressed Jessica, most would plead and lie to get themselves out of a situation like this, but not you. You admit that you did it and you are willing to accept the consequences. I think you were willing to do so as soon as you decided to hit that girl."

I just look down at my shoes and nod.

"What exactly did she do to you to make you so angry?" He asked calmly.

I didn't answer. She had done too many things. She was my first friend when I came here. I had told her about Omega and how I could talk to animals. Then she betrayed me, she called me crazy and turned the whole school against me saying I was a freak of nature. It had all happened so fast... the bullying, the name calling, the notes... I was sick of it. And everything was her fault.

Mr Tyrel sighs. "Well if you're not gonna tell me you're gonna have to tell the principal..." he says standing up and placing his hand on my back, guiding me towards the principal's office. I don't resist.