Chapter 2

Chapter 2: Trey

                There she was, standing there at the front of the class. Making her social studies speech. I have always liked her. She was in a few of my classes last year. Now she is in all of them.

I still am pretty much obsessed, though she seems somewhat different. She usually has a fountain of life around her, lots of friends and always a sparkle in her eyes. In the past month all that has been sucked out of her. She stays away from groups of people and doesn't talk nearly as much. Her participation in class today wasn't voluntary. She never raises her hand to answer the questions with answers no one knew.

And she's skinny. Her beautiful pale face is narrow, and she only picks at her food at lunch. I've never had a conversation with her but I need to talk to her soon. I want to reach out, no one else is.

"Thank you Evelyn for that...uh...interesting speech on...methods of execution at war."

Evelyn nods in Mr. Loreto's direction then takes a seat. A seat two up from mine and even though I go through this everyday my heart beats faster. She sits and looks down at her desk; her shimmering brown hair shields her face. Her hair tends to do that a lot now, and it sucks because I'd kill to see her smiling face.

"Okay, next speaker will be," Mr. Loreto looks down at sheet, "Trey!" He says my name but I am completely focused on Evelyn that I didn't hear. He repeats my name three more times before the girl behind me taps my shoulder and point to Mr. Loreto. "Ah, there I finally got your attention Mr. Trey Rivers. May we please hear your speech about war weapons?"

"Um..., sure..." I got up and said my speech making sure I didn't screw up.

I kept looking up and around the room. I was trying to keep my vision from looking at Evelyn because I knew I would stammer out something I shouldn't, but once when I was looking up at the class room during my speech, I had to at least get a glimpse at her. She was actually staring up at me listening keenly. I was so taken aback that I faltered on my next statement.  I expect to see her head down with her hair covering her face.  Instead her striking grey eyes were locked with my own. In some way, subconsciously I was saying the speech I had memorized for class. When I finished I took a slight final glance then turned around and gave my paper in to the teacher. I walked back to my desk then sat down.

"Those were all great speeches, everybody. Now as I know you have all been waiting for the field trip tomorrow! Everyone needs a partner! Okay, so as you know you and your partner will be completing a work packet as we make our way through the art museum. You will be in grouped on buses and will traveling the museum with your homeroom. See everyone tomorrow," says Mr. Loreto to everyone finally dismissing us. He arranges some papers on his desk while everyone shuffles to the door. "Oh and Trey could you wait outside for a moment while I talk with Evelyn?" I look over stunned that our names were used in the same sentence.

"Sure," I say and realize I have no idea why he used our names in the same sentence.

I walk to the door in a daze.

"Hey!" I turn around suddenly as someone yells at me.

"What?" I say with a hint of annoyance.

"Watch where you're going! You almost hit that wall." Some kid from my class snaps back at me.

"Oh." I mumble under my breath. Everyone besides Evelyn is out of the room now and I'm the only one hanging near the door. She nods and looks at Mr. Loreto, as he says something to her she pushes her silky hair back behind her ear. With a final exchange Mr. Loreto calls my name, and right on time because my drool was about to start falling. I walk into the classroom for a moment hesitant, but think better of it and stride right in. I hang back for a second then finally stand by Evelyn.

"Trey have you partnered with anyone for the field trip?" Mr. Loreto asks me. I stare into his face but I'm not really looking at him.

"Huh? Oh right Drew, he's my partner." I stand there feeling slightly stupid. Then the light bulb flares and the bells go off. HE WANTS EVELYN TO BE MY PARTNER. My palms start to sweat and I bet I don't look too good right now.

"Oh, well," Mr. Loreto clears his throat, "I was wondering if you could partner up with Evelyn for this project." He continues and looks at me suggestively. I wait a moment taking it in; they probably think I need a moment to think about it. As if anyone would need a moment to think about it.

"Yes of course," I say finally, "I can uh, talk to Drew about it, he'll understand." I nod trying not to act giddy and exploding with happiness. Mr. Loreto smiles and pats my shoulder,

"Thank you Trey, I knew you would." What's that supposed to mean? Does he know I like her? Evelyn looks at me and my nerves kick in, how can I spend the whole day with her? I take a deep breath and force myself to keep eye contact. I think I see her smile, she smiles right at me.

"Oookay, get out of my life now." Mr. Loreto smiles and walks out of the room.

He leaves me standing by Evelyn, Evelyn standing by me.

"Well um, I guess I'll see you tomorrow," She breaks the silence and waves. I freeze but manage to wave back.

"Bye." Evelyn smiles then walks away. She smiles but I can still tell there's something bothering her, she's always sad. I really want to know what's wrong, maybe I'll get a chance tomorrow.

I stand there deep in thought when a voice calls my name.

"Hey Trey!" Drew stands in the doorway chewing gum."Ye comin'? We are gonna miss the bus..." He asks.

I nod and Drew spins on his heel.