Chapter 1

Chapter 1: Evelyn

I had pictured a perfect ending to my summer.

This however is something that I would have never planned.

The news of my mother's cancer shocked us all. We were prepared for the worse but, when it finally hit us. I guess, we weren't.

 Ava, my elegant older sister who always has everything under control stands there lost.  She doesn't know what will happen next.

Michael stands to my side, his eyes are glass and his hand sifts numbly through his bronze hair.  He is unsure, whether to comfort or walk away.

My Father watches us from behind, wondering if he should have told us so early about my mother's cancer. He looks as if he is hiding something from us now. As if he doesn't want to hurt us even more.

I look around once more. Everyone looks frozen in place. So I take a step forward. I am the first to make my way towards my mother's possible future deathbed. Her hospital bed is in a dull room, which is completely bland. I walk to her. Hold her hand, and give her the faintest smile.

She returns the smile but her eyes read a different story, they suffer from her weakness. It makes me pain inside to know what has happened, what can happen. Her hands aren't the warm, strong hands that used to hold mine as she smiled and laughed. They are drained of life. Her expression is aching so badly with the knowledge of her condition.

"Ev Honey," she whispers my name and I never want to think of not being able to hear her say it. I smile again. Ava comes behind me, she's hovering by the bedside, and her hazel eyes are watering.

"Oh, honey it's alright." Mom is trying to soothe us but I don't think it will work. Not this time. I don't say what I feel. I can't explain it really, there are these feelings I never could exist so strongly. We don't oppose her and say what if it's not alright? We stand there and try to be strong, we nod weakly. I look back, Michael, Dad, they smile faintly. It's the best we can do right now.

At the moment of silence we are having right now. The doctor walks in. He asks for us leave to talk to my mother and father alone. We get shoved out the door. The last I see is my father's nervous glance in our direction. The door clicks shut and we look at each other curiously. What else is there that we can't know about right away? Ava makes the first move by pressing her ear against the door. A concentrated expression takes over her face. Michael hesitates but finally we all listen for what may change the whole situation. At first the sounds come muffled and slurred together.

".....correct, we double-checked .....ultra....x-rays and..... the.........is five............old......can'tossibly save........If an....were.....ability, the tumor ................thefe..tusofaby. " A moment of silence follows the bundle of words, then footsteps shuffle to the door. We've already backed away and my mind is buzzing with what was just said. I look over and Ava is pale as death.

"What is it?" I whisper. Michael is looking down, I don't know what he's thinking.

"They said....fetus." Her lips are the only thing to move. My thoughts stop whirling; they crash into a brick wall.

The door clicks back open, I look blankly past the man dressed in scrubs, and to my parents. I wait for a response from them. Even a response from their eyes. My mom is staring at the floor like my brother, except this is different. A silent tear rolls down her cheek, and then continues to the floor. Dad stares back at me, he's scared. For once in the longest time, my strong father is scared.