Birthday

There was a loud knowing on Ren's door, which didn't seem to cease no matter how long she waited. The noise seemed to be constant, and put on a jacket and walked to the door, expecting a solicitor.

"Who's knocking on my door right before I go to work?" Ren sighed, opening the door. "What are you doing here?"

She found a pair of arms wrapped around her, pushing her down onto the ground. They landed with a thud, blinking in confusion as she looked at the person on top of her. Dazai sat up, rubbing his forehead and holding out his hand with a beaming smile on his face.

"REN, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" He helped her up, and she stared at him, confused.

"Wait what? It's my birthday? Today? Huh?" She started, looking around to see where she could find the date, checking her phone.

"Of course it is! Do you really think I'd forget?" He pat her head, grinning.

"Oh ok. Thanks." She still looked slightly dazed, and she stood up, brushing herself off. "I still have to go to work-"

"I organised something behind the scenes. You have the day off." He pecked her on the forehead and pulled down her mask, revealing her still puzzled expression. "And don't you dare think about working from home. I don't think Nagai was nice enough to celebrate you in the Azuma-kai, so I want to make this day memorable."

Ren felt a sense of confusion as well as a curious sense of joy welling up inside of her. It felt foreign, having someone remembering her birthday and celebrating it. The grey world around her was still grey and mostly lifeless, but because she was swimming in a sea of grey, that seemed to make Dazai glow a lot brighter and seem a lot more colourful, illuminating the world around them. She found comfort in the warmth he provided, and she tried to remember back to where it was her birthday in the Azuma-kai, and Nagai's reaction.

"Nagai-sensei! Nagai-sensei!" She ran up to him, grinning from ear to ear, emitting happiness wherever she went. "It's my birthday toda-" He barely looked up from the book he was reading, and slapped her across the face, leaving an angry red mark. 

He seemed to slap the energy out from Ren's face, her smile instantly dissolving along with her mood and stood there quietly for a while, eyes wide and suppressing tears. The year before, her family had gladly celebrated her, but it felt like someone had stabbed her in the chest, leaving her to bleed out. They were all looming, mysterious adults where she was, and there wasn't anyone who cared. Not for a random four year old.

"At least you know not to cry, you piece of shit. Training. Now. Do not interrupt me again." He snapped as he slammed his book shut, pointing out the door and glaring.

"Understood, Nagai-sensei." She bowed and walked out of his office.

"Ren? Are you alright?" Dazai cupped her cheek, using his thumb to wipe away a tear on her cheek.

"Yeah. I'm fine." She replied almost robotically, collapsing onto his shoulder and gripping his jacket. "Thank you... I'm... happy."

"良かった。(I'm glad)" He whispered and wrapped his arms around her, stroking her hair gently. "Let's go on a date!"

"D-d-date?" She turned away briefly, trying to process what was being said.

She brushed herself off, taking off her jacket and vest so that she wasn't as recognisable, and followed Dazai outside with a small smile on her face.

They walked into the Agency building, walking up the stairs of the cafe underneath the offices, and where Ren had worked briefly.

"Hold up, am I allowed up there?" Ren stopped mid-step.