Suicide

The setting sun was blocked out by a few clouds drifting lazily across the sky, and you could see the boats in the Yokohama port coming in and out of the dock with people walking down the streets. Some wore suits, some wore fancy attire, and some wore casual clothes. A few birds flew in flocks, casting shadows across the sky, and the atmosphere was quite calm and peaceful. Dazai made his way up to the top of one of the buildings in Yokohama, and gazed at all the landscape that stretched across the city. There was a soft breeze as he stepped out onto the rooftop, and taking a deep breath, he took in his surroundings. He'd have preferred it if a beautiful lady was with him, but he still wanted to attempt to commit suicide by jumping off a building. Bringing his hand to his face, he could still feel the cut that Ren had given him, which had remained a reminder of her. Thinking back to when she was spying on them, Dazai remembered her warmth as she comforted him and listened to his story, smiling softly to himself. It seemed to be her most genuine action and felt mostly sincere. Reminiscing back made Dazai feel happy, surprisingly, and he wasn't exactly angry that she had deceived them.

"So that's how my ability works." Chuuya finished talking.

"Ok. Also why was that organisation you were in before the Port Mafia called 'Sheep'? It sounds kinda stupid, if I'm being honest."

"That was uncalled for..." Chuuya pouted and looked down at the ground. 

"Just stating my opinion. Anything wrong with that?"

"No, it's just that you're extremely blunt and brutally honest and it can hurt people's feelings." Chuuya protested like a small child.

"Such a simplistic phrase. Who are you, a kindergarten teacher?" Ren said back.

"Wha- Damn you Ren, you never change. It's not like you'll be caring about an actual human being anytime soon anyways."

"True. It interferes with work, so I'd rather not. I'm assuming you don't really care about anybody either, except maybe Dazai-"

"WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT THAT IDIOT?!"

"You mention him frequently even when it isn't necessary. Why do you keep mentioning him if you don't think about him and/or care about him? Or is it that whole 'I love him but I also hate him' kind of thing?" She said it so casually it frightened him.

"Listen here you little shit-"

"So you're not denying it." She said simply, looking up at a shadow being cast down from the building they were walking past, frowning. 

That was quick, Walking Waste of Bandages. Now for an experiment.

"I just remembered something I have to get at the supermarket, so I'll see you later." 

She waved quickly and walked into the building. Fortunately she knew one of the people who worked there who owed her something, so went over to the lobby and lied to them effortlessly saying she had set up an appointment. The elevator had one or two other people in it, who eyed her curiously before going back to what they were doing. She stopped at the top level and rushed over to the rooftop, where she saw Dazai walking over to the edge of the building.

Why am I not surprised...?

Dazai peered over the edge, dizzyingly high from where he was standing, but that made it all the more exhilarating for him. Feeling a rush of excitement, he climbed over the railing and leaned over, letting go, feeling the rush of wind in his face for a split second as he began to fall, feeling refreshed, but suddenly stopped, hanging midair. Awkwardly turning around to see who had stopped him, his eyes widened when he saw Ren grasping onto his leg tightly, her hands firmly around his ankle. The breeze had pushed most of her hair out of her face, and he was even more surprised when he saw her expression with her mask pulled down. Her eyes, which were normally cold and detached, looked extremely panicked and fearful, and he could almost feel her racing heartbeat through her hand, and the cloudy blue started to have depth and emotion. Time seemed to stand still as he hung in the air, and Dazai could feel his own heart beating as he stared back at her, and she eventually dragged him back up with ease, as if he weighed nothing. 

"Hypothesis incorrect..." She muttered to herself as she stood in front of him.

"Were you using me as a science experiment?" Dazai asked as though nothing had happened.

"What would I gain from telling you, a walking waste of bandages? Just- don't die..." She sounded slightly flustered, which was interesting coming from her.

"Don't tell me if you don't want to. And where did you get 'walking waste of bandages' from? Also, why don't you want me to die? You're from the Port Mafia." 

"The nickname was something I came up with after talking to Chuuya. And the reason I don't want you to die is because that I, in fact, care about you as an individual, and Boss would also kill me because he's left an Executive position open like you're going to come back. I know you won't, but the other point I have concluded during this test, which is... new." She sighed and started walking away.

Thinking, Dazai stopped her. "Ren."

"Spit it out."

"What is your relationship with Chuuya?" She narrowed her eyes, becoming as harsh as they normally were.

"Former superior and colleague. And one of the people I am closest with." Dazai nodded and smiled to himself.

I know exactly who I'm going to interrogate.

"Do you, say, have any plans for what you want to do with your future? Maybe involving suicide?"

"No. Work and live life then die having left my stain on the world."

Ren sat back at her desk, thinking.

Increased heart rate, fear. I didn't want him to die... Even though I tricked him. Though I do see some of myself in him. If he claimed to like me, he's most likely still living in the illusion of Aiko, like everyone else. It's difficult to accept that someone you cared for was a façade meant to lure you into an information trap.

Shrugging, she continued working until it was time to go home, but as soon as she stopped focusing on something other than work, her mind began drifting towards the Armed Detective Agency. Grumbling to herself about how stupid she was to let her emotions, which were admittedly very weak, but still, she was going to do everything in her power to avoid interactions with the Armed Detective Agency.

- - -

Posting two chapters in one day because I wrote two chapters sitting down all day watching 2/3 of Dead Apple. It feels really weird writing this then writing a part where Ren and Dazai are drinking and there's these weird ability crystals. No idea, and I really want to spoil something but I shouldn't. 

And I'm also questioning why I actually research stuff for this story, but I don't care, but I changed up a lot of the gang and crime syndicate names because I don't think using actual names isn't a good idea, but I used actual authors for some of the characters which you will see in around chapter 30. Just btw