chapter thirty-nine

I woke up the next morning on the living room couch with a kink in my neck. I stretched and rubbed the back of my neck, trying to relieve the pain. I walked into the kitchen and filled Daisy's bowls with food and water.

As I walked to my room to shower, I realized that I had yet to tell my mom that I was engaged. I stopped by my nightstand and took my phone off the charger to call her.

"Logan, hi," she answered. "How are you? Was your trip fun?"

"It was amazing, mom. I have some news that you probably aren't going to believe."

"Did that boy finally get you to marry him?" she asked, surprising me.

"What? How did you know?"

"So you said yes," I could hear the smirk in her voice. "He called me before your trip, asking for my blessing. I never would've thought you'd say yes."

"Mom! I can't believe this," I shook my head.

"Oh, he was being sweet. I'm so happy! So do you know when the wedding is going to be?"

"This literally happened last week," I rolled my eyes even though she couldn't see.

"I'm sorry, I'm just so excited."

"Me too, actually," I told her. We talked for a bit longer, about the trip and how her husband was.

***

Liam walked into my apartment a few hours later when I was sitting at the kitchen table, eating some mac and cheese. He dropped a large stack of magazines in front of me.

"I thought you'd want these," he grinned.

"Why?" I asked, not waiting until I was done chewing.

"Because of the wedding? I thought we could start planning." He took the seat next to me and grabbed one to flip through. "Here, this is pretty," he pointed to a dress.

"You're not helping me pick out a dress," I said. "And we literally just got home from our trip. Why do we have to start planning right now if we're waiting a few years?"

"Huh? Since when?"

I sighed. "I'm not getting married in like a month, Liam. I want to plan it right, even if it's going to be small."

"But I thought we could get one of those castles near London," he pouted. "I've always wanted to since I was a kid."

"Those have got to cost a fortune. Even if you can afford it, I don't want an extravagant wedding."

"Can't we compromise?"

"Liam, I'm really not in the mood today. You might still be on break but when I'm done eating, I have to go to work."

"Fine, I'm sorry I was being nice and brought you these magazines," Liam spat out before he got up and left.

I felt a little bad that I was getting mad, but he should be happy that I was willing to go against everything I valued for most of my life. If I was going to do this, I wanted to do it in a way that made me happy. There was also no way that my family would travel all the way to London for my wedding. I know that Liam would offer to pay for them, but I just don't want that. He's already done enough for me.

I had lost my appetite, so I threw the little bit of pasta I had left into the trash and dropped the bowl in the sink. I checked my reflection in the mirror before putting my shoes on for work.

After discussing my old bar with Tristan the day before, I realized how much I missed it. It had been the only thing that made me happy for the longest time and now that Liam and I had a fight, I wished I had it to go to. Now, I was working at a bar and grill and my boss was rude. I liked it there, the customers anyway, but I definitely wished I never fought with Ivy and gotten fired.

***

When I got home in the early morning hours, I stripped out of my uniform and into a large sweatshirt. Liam hadn't contacted me the rest of the day, which was weird but made sense because of the fight.

The magazines strewed on the table reminded me of him and the fight. I took a seat and started to look through one. There was a part of it that had DIY ideas and I found it interesting. I wasn't very crafty myself but it seemed like something I could get into and maybe Sarahi could help.

At four in the morning, I was flagging magazine pages and realized that maybe I could compromise. I sent Liam an apology text because he was most likely sleeping.

A few minutes later though, he replied with thank god, I thought you were going to stay mad at me forever. and we can do whatever you want for the wedding. I love you and I want to make you happy.

I told him I loved him too and that I would be happy to compromise. I also thanked him for the magazines because I knew he was proud of them.

An hour and a half later, I had gone through all of them. I put them into a neat stack before going to bed and dreaming of my wedding day.

hi, please vote and comment. there will be one more chapter and an epilogue. xx zoe