chapter twenty-eight

"Mom, calm down," I said to her through the phone. She was incoherently yelling about me having dinner with my father.

"W-why would y-you do that to us?" She was ugly sobbing now and I had no idea how to get her to stop.

"Seriously, it was over a month ago and I haven't heard from him since." This was true, my dad had not contacted me at all since the night Liam and I went over to his house.

"B-but you s-still went over t-there."

I groaned. "And I hated every minute of it. Does that make you feel better? I don't plan on having a relationship with him."

My mom sighed and blew her nose loudly. "Ok. This isn't why I called you though."

"Then why? Are you alright?"

"I'm fine, but I have some news." She had completely recovered from her ugly sobbing, which I found weird but I didn't dwell on it. 

I moved to get more comfortable on the couch, completely stumped as to what she had to tell me. "What is it? Spit it out."

"I'm getting married."

"What?! I didn't even know you were dating." I was shocked. Ever since my dad left us, my mom hadn't gone on a single date because she was too devastated.

"I signed up for one of those dating website things about a year ago. I met Tony-"

"Hold on. A year ago?!" How could she have kept this from me for so long. I knew that we didn't talk to each other that much, but I felt like this was something that she would share with me.

"Yes, Logan. Now, I met Tony and we hit it off right away. He's a doctor and so incredible. He asked me to marry him because well, we aren't getting any younger and I said yes! The wedding is in two weeks. Do you think you can get off work to come home?"

Oh, yeah. I hadn't told my mom I had gotten fired. "I should be able to," I said, not wanting to ruin her good news.

"Perfect! I can't wait to see you," she said before we exchanged goodbyes.

I picked up the newspaper that I had set down on the coffee table, folded open to the classified section. I sighed, not really feeling like looking for a job. I had been enjoying not having any responsibilities for the past few days. My nose was feeling better and I liked spending all day at home with Daisy. I set the newspaper back on the coffee table and padded into my room. My mother's wedding was two weeks away and my thoughts focused on what I was going to wear more than anything else. I stood in front of my wardrobe and blankly stared. Everything in my closet I had worn multiple times and nothing was going to be suitable for the wedding. 

I flopped down on my bed with my phone, deciding to text Sarahi to see if she wanted to go shopping. She answered a bit later saying that she'd love to. We decided on meeting at the mall. I'd been seeing her quite a bit since Liam and I made up. We would go on cute double dates with her and Niall, which is something I thought I would never do. 

***

"So how are things?" Sarahi asked me as we looked through racks of clothes. "I haven't heard from you in a few days."

"Well, I bet you heard about the fight," I told her.

"Oh my gosh, yes! Liam told us. What happened, he didn't really go into detail?" 

"The new bartender called me a whore and I let my temper get the best of me. I really wish I hadn't gotten fired, but it makes sense to me now even though I technically didn't punch Ivy. She's also with Tristan now, which makes me think that I'll lose him as a friend. And now I also have to look for a new job upon finding out that my mother is getting married."

"That really sucks. Is that why we're shopping though? Your mom's wedding?" Sarahi sounded excited. I nodded, not too thrilled about it. "I love weddings! They're just so elegant and beautiful, full of love."

I rolled my eyes. Personally, I hated weddings. I thought they were a pointless ritual because at any point people can break up. It's useless money spent to eventually spend more money on inevitable divorce. I couldn't believe that my mom was getting remarried. After my father left us, she had sworn off men and marriage. I feel like that's partly where I got my feelings about it from. 

"So. Is it super formal or not so much?" 

"Um, I don't really know. I'm thinking formal, but not too formal if that makes sense. I guess we'll just have to grab a whole bunch of stuff and see," I shrugged. "But anyway, how are you?" I was still new to the friend thing and trying to figure out what to say when and what not. 

"Pretty good actually. I just finished my internship at the hospital and they've offered me to work there as a nurse. I really like it there, so I'm happy that I can still work there."

"That's awesome!" I tried to be happy for her, but it kind of hurt to be talking about jobs and how she just got hired on. "Ok, I think this should be good," I said when both of our arms were full of stuff for me to try on. 

"That's the one," Sarahi said when I walked out to show her about the fiftieth thing I tried on. 

"Really?" I looked at myself in the 3-way mirror, examining the outfit. It was a long navy blue dress with pink flowers. There was a slit up the leg that stopped mid-thigh. On the front, it tied into a bow and had a cut out right underneath, showing a bit of my stomach. "You don't think it's too much? LIke too revealing?" I wanted to be more classy than trashy at my mom's wedding.

"Definitely not! It totally works on you, you look amazing!" she smiled, making me feel like she was right. I really loved the dress and it was actually quite comfortable. 

"Ok, I'll get this one," I smiled, walking back into the dressing room. After I took off the dress, I looked at the price tag, which was way more than I should be spending. I shrugged it off and decided to splurge. I would really need to start looking for a job tomorrow though. 

hi, sorry if this is boring. it's just a filler but i hope you still like it. please vote and comment xx zoe