chapter thirty-eight

Ireland was such a great time. I got to meet Niall's family, including his adorable nephew Theo. Niall took us to all his favorite places, including pubs and soccer games. He kept getting mad when I called it soccer though, telling me that the correct name is football.

We arrived back to New York really late at night, so Liam decided to stay the night at my place. We left our bags by the door, changed and cuddled under the covers, Liam's body heat keeping me warm and safe.

"I love you," he whispered before we drifted off to sleep.

***

The next morning I texted Tristan to see if he was free. I didn't have to go back to work until the next day and I had to at least meet up with him to get Daisy.

He replied about ten minutes later with sure thing, meet you at yours in an hour?

I responded in agreement and went to get ready. I had to be quiet because Liam was still sleeping, lying on his stomach with his bare back exposed. I took a moment and admired him, the feeling that he was mine comforting me.

When Tristan arrived with Daisy, my dog practically mauled me. She wasn't terribly big, but her strength surprised me. She attacked my face with kisses, showing that she had missed me.

"Burgers or pizza?" Tristan asked, a grin on his face.

"Pizza. Is that even a question?" I grabbed my bag off of my pile of luggage as well as my keys.

We walked a short walk to a local pizza joint and ordered a whole one to share.

"So, how've you been?" I asked after we ate in silence for a bit, scarfing down pizza.

"Good," he nodded. "I'm still with Ivy if you were wondering," he said, avoiding my gaze.

"Tris, I'm sorry. I never should have fought her, it was stupid." I paused to gauge my friend's reaction, then added, "And if you like her, she has to have some good qualities."

Tristan laughed at my teasing and said, "I love her, Logan. She really is a good person, beyond the bitchy front she shows people."

"Well, I'm happy for you," I smiled. I really was, he deserved to be happy. "Oh, I forgot to tell you. Liam proposed while we were in London." I felt a slight blush forming on my cheeks as I showed him my left hand.

"Wow, he moves fast," he commented.

"We've been together for over two years," I rolled my eyes slightly.

He shrugged. "I don't know, it just seems that you've changed."

"Just because I actually fell in love doesn't mean I'm a different person," I tried to explain, but I couldn't help but think he was right. I had changed over the past two years, but I believed it was for the better. I was happy now, wasn't I?

"I guess," he told me with a nod. "I'm happy for you too as long as this is what you want."

"It is," I said and we finished lunch discussing how the bar, my old workplace was doing without me.

***

Liam had another week before his university classes resumed, but that evening when I retuned to my apartment he was nowhere to be found.

I dragged my suitcase into my room, that I told myself I was going to unpack in a bit but most likely wouldn't get to for a few days/weeks.

I walked to my nightstand to charge my phone and I found a note.

Logan,
I went to bring my luggage back to my place since you snuck out before I woke up. Jet lag is kicking my butt so I think I'm going to spend the night sleeping, but I'll call you tomorrow. I love you, so much.
Liam
p.s. I left you a shirt to sleep in so you don't forget me.

I smiled at his horrible handwriting and hugged the note to my chest before setting it back down.

Jet lag was kicking my butt too, so I changed out of my jeans and black t-shirt and into the shirt Liam left for my. I inhaled his familiar scent before padding into the living room.

I turned on the tv and found reruns of the Big Bang Theory. I made it through half of an episode before I noticed my eyes drooping closed.

hi and happy new year! please vote and comment - it means so much to me. xx zoe