chapter nine

"Dad?" I couldn't believe the man that I once called my dad was in front of me, at my bar. I hadn't heard from him or seen him since he abandoned my mom and I. He looked the same, dark hair with stubble on his face. His skin was deeply tanned, and he was dressed in a plain black t-shirt.

"It is you," he sighed, probably from relief.

"What the fuck are you doing here?" I burst out, not caring about my language.

"I came to see you, pumpkin," he said, using his nickname for me as a child.

"I have a job to do here, so either tell me what drink you want or leave," I snapped.

"Whiskey," he responded, I remembered it to be his drink of choice. I poured his drink, placing it in front of him without saying another word. "Thanks, pumpkin," he said and took a drink.

Anger boiled inside of me at that stupid nickname. I wanted to yell at him that I wasn't a child anymore.

A while later, Tristan pulled me aside when I went to the back to get some bottles to restock the bar.

"Who is that guy that keeps watching you? He's being kind of creepy," he sounded concerned.

"My dad," I answered shortly and left to go back to the bar.

"Logan!" my dad called me back over, holding his glass up for a refill. It seemed like nothing about him had changed, he still had his damn alcohol problem. I filled his glass back up, putting it in front of him. "You think we could talk after your shift?"

"I have nothing to say to you," I shook my head. I wished that he wasn't the only customer in the bar right now so I could help somebody else. I glanced at the clock, finding it to be almost last call. "Anyway, once you're done you have to leave. That was last call."

"Please," he begged. "Just give me ten minutes to explain everything. Then if you don't ever want to talk to me again, I'll accept that. Just ten minutes."

"Fine," I groaned. "But you'll have to wait outside because I need to clean the bar."

"Thanks so much, pumpkin," he grinned.

"One more thing, don't call me that."

My dad stayed silent, just finishing his drink before standing up and walking out the door.

"What did he want?" Tristan's voice made me jump, appearing behind me.

"God, Tris!" I exclaimed, almost dropping a bottle of vodka.

"Sorry," he chuckled. "So, what did he want?"

"To talk, I guess," I shrugged. I honestly didn't feel like going out to talk to him after working and it was two in the morning.

"What are you gonna do?"

"I don't know," I sighed. "Just see what he has to say. I don't really want anything to do with him after what he did to me and my mom but he wasn't going to give up until I agreed to hear what he wants to say."

"When was the last time you saw him?" he asked nervously.

"Seven years ago."

"Whoa," Tristan breathed out. "Well, you can call me if you need anything or want to talk."

"Thanks," I gave him a weak smile before I finished cleaning the counter.

I grabbed my purse from the back and braced myself for the conversation to come. I found my dad leaning against the brick wall of the bar, with his arms crossed over his chest. He was a tall man, over six foot and he was towering over my small frame. When he saw me approaching, he pushed away from the wall.

"Hey," I said. "There's some tables just over there. We can sit and talk." I didn't really want to sit outside at this time of the night but I didn't feel I had a choice. I led him over to the tables set up in front of some restaurant. We took seats opposite of each other.

"You're so beautiful, Logan. You look just like your mother did at your age," he smiled.

"Thanks, but I'd rather just get on with it."

"Alright," he sighed. "First, I want to tell you I'm sorry."

"Sorry?" I scoffed. "You left us."

"I really am. I'm so deeply sorry. I never wanted you to get hurt, but I know that you did and so did your mom."

"Do you understand that she cried herself to sleep? She still cries herself to sleep, even now, seven years later."

He closed his eyes before reopening them. "Pump- Logan," he corrected himself. "I was in a terrible place. I was drinking myself wasted almost every night. I saw leaving as the best solution so I didn't hinder you or your mom anymore. Looking back, I realize it was stupid but I've gotten myself better. I'm not completely sober, as you well know, but I've got it under control. I'm no longer dependent on it."

"Can you tell me one thing?"

"Anything," he nodded.

"Why now? Why did you take so damn long to come back?"

"I have news that I wanted to share with you. I'm married and have another child, your half-sister."

I didn't know how to react. I had always been an only child. I never once thought I would have a sibling, even a half-sibling. What was I supposed to do, instantly become happy and excited, wanting to meet this child?

"I want you to meet them. They're so lovely, Logan. You're going to love them."

"I'm not the same little girl that you knew anymore. I want nothing to do with you or them." He remembered me as his sweet little girl which I was anything but anymore. He ruined me and caused me to grow up too quickly. He may be happy now, but I definitely wasn't.

"Logan," he shook his head. "Please. I'm your dad. Doesn't that mean something to you?" His voice sounded pained, like it hurt him to say these words.

"The day you left us, you stopped being my dad," I snapped and left. I was fuming as I walked to my car, but once I got inside, I broke down. I was crying over my dad for the first time in years.

Someone tapping on my window caused me to lift my head out of my hands. I assumed it was going to be Tristan, but it wasn't. I rolled down my window to be faced with Liam.

"What's wrong?" he asked, looking at my tear stained cheeks. He was dressed in shorts hanging low on his hips and headphones hanging around his neck. His body was covered in sweat.

"Nothing," I lied. I really didn't want to tell my life story to someone I barely knew.

"You've got to be crying for some reason. Unlock the door and talk to me." I sighed and hit the button. He walked over to the other side of my car and climbed in. "So, what are you doing at this time, sitting in your car and crying?"

"Seriously, it doesn't matter. I just want to go home." He reached over, taking my hand in his. "What are you doing out at this time?" I asked.

"Going on a run, I couldn't sleep. I saw your car in the lot so I thought I would say hi, and then you were crying."

"Oh," I whispered. "It's a long story. You'll get bored."

"I like long stories," he smiled, stroking my thumb with his. His touch caused my skin to feel like it was on fire. I pushed the feeling away, telling myself it was just from my vulnerable state.

"Really, you don't want to get involved with me. I know you're trying to be nice and whatever, but I'd rather just handle things on my own."

"When are you going to realize that people want to help you and they aren't out to hurt you all the time?"

I wanted to believe him, but throughout my life I had learned not to expect anything from anyone.

sorry for leaving this on a cliffhanger for a while, but i've had so much going on and haven't had the time to update. please vote and comment, it will make my day (: xx zoe

(i know he's not running in the picture or even working out, but he's shirtless and smiley so yay haha)