chapter twenty-one

I stood in front of my mirror two hours later in the deep purple maxi skirt that I had just purchased. I paired it with a long sleeved white top that showed a bit of cleavage. I put some waves into my hair and applied minimal makeup.

I had a feeling in my stomach, almost making me feel nauseous. I walked into the kitchen and found some ibuprofen to hopefully rid myself of the feeling.

I filled up Daisy's food and water bowls before going back into my room to find sandals to wear. I ruffled Daisy's head before leaving to go to my car. I pulled up their address on GPS, Sarahi had texted it to me earlier.

I arrived at Liam and Niall's apartment ten minutes later, finding it on the other side of town. It was a nice looking building, with quite a few apartments. I nervously walked up to the door and buzzed their apartment.

"Hello?" I recognized Niall's voice on the intercom.

"Hey, it's Logan," I answered.

"Ok, I'll buzz you in!"

I pulled open the door, struggling with how heavy it was, when I heard the noise to signal it was unlocked. I took the elevator up to the third floor and walked down an eerily quiet hallway to their apartment. I knocked on the door and heard "come in!" from inside. I stepped in, sliding my sandals off. I followed the smell of food into the kitchen. Niall and Sarahi were both cooking, Niall stirring some noodles on the stove and Sarahi chopping vegetables for a salad.

"Liam will be here in a bit. We made him go out and get dressing since we're out," Sarahi told me.

I took a sigh of relief and leaned against the counter. "Does he know I'm here?"

"No, no. That's going to be a surprise!" she smiled.

"He's not gonna know what hit him!" Niall chuckled.

"Yeah, I bet he's going to be pissed," I scoffed, folding my arms across my chest. "I shouldn't have come. I'm just gonna go."

"No, please stay! We went through all this trouble to make dinner."

"Alright, but he isn't going to be happy," I sighed. "I'll at least help and set the table," I said and Niall pointed to the cupboard with plates. I grabbed out four and brought them to the table before searching for glasses and silverware.

I heard the door open ten minutes later. "I didn't know what kind you wanted, so I bought ranch and blue cheese!" Liam called, his voice causing all of the breath in my lungs to be knocked out. His accent was so thick and deep that it caused the feeling in my stomach to return. His footsteps got closer and I bit my lip, nervous for him to see me.

"Logan?" The bottles of dressing slipped out of his hands and onto the tiled floor.

"Hey," I smiled weakly. He looked incredibly good, despite the bags under his eyes. His face was sprinkled with stubble, making him look rougher.

"What are you doing here?" he asked, bending down to pick up the bottles.

"I invited her," Sarahi interjected with a smile.

"Why?" Liam drew out the word, sounding confused.

"Look, mate. You've been acting differently since being home from London and you haven't spoken with Logan. We thought it would be a good time to get you two together, talk," Niall explained.

"I've got nothing to say to her," he said and stormed out of the kitchen.

"Ok, I don't know what happened between you, but you need to go talk to him," Niall encouraged.

"He didn't tell you?" I asked, shocked. I was sure that he would confide in his friend, they seemed so close.

"Nah, told him he didn't have to."