chapter seventeen

Today was Ruth's party and I was both excited and nervous. Liam was going to be the only person I really knew there, so I hoped I didn't feel out of place. I was looking through my clothes to figure out what to wear, when I realized that I hadn't asked Liam how dressy I needed to be. Sighing, I stood up and walked down the hall to his room. His door was closed, so I knocked hoping that he was awake.

"Come in," I heard him call.

I pushed the door open and stepped inside, finding Liam dressed in only a pair of track pants hanging low on his hips. He was standing next to his bed and I had trouble keeping my eyes off his toned abs. "I-I was coming to see what I needed to wear for the party," I stammered.

"Whatever you have is fine, but probably something nicer than what you've got on," he said with a laugh, flashing his perfect teeth.

I rolled my eyes at his comment. "Well, then you should probably change too."

He pointed to the black pants and button down shirt hanging on his closet door. "I was working on it, darling," he smirked.

I felt my cheeks blush and I bit my lip. "Ok, I'll let you get back to that," I nodded and awkwardly left, closing his door behind me. I mentally face palmed myself on the way back to the spare room. I always felt so unlike myself when I was around him, losing all of my confidence and embarrassing myself.

Shuffling through my clothes again, I picked out a purple dress with a deep v neckline that reached mid-thigh. There was a beaded tie around the waist.

Once I was finished getting ready, I walked downstairs and into the kitchen. There was still an hour before Ruth was going to show up, but some of the guests had already arrived. I found Karen in the kitchen, putting together plates of appetizers.

"Would you like some help?" I asked sweetly.

"Oh, I'd love some help!" she smiled and handed me a block of cheese to cut up. "The knives are right there," she said, pointing to a holder on the counter. "And you look extravagant, dear!" she gushed.

"Thanks," I couldn't help but smile. Liam's mom was so sweet and caring. I began to cut the block of cheese, but the knife slipped when Liam's voice startled me. It cut through the edge of my thumb, but not too deep. "Ahh," I let out a little yelp.

"Oh my god, are you alright?" Liam rushed to my side to check out the damage. My thumb was bleeding a little onto the cutting board and it hurt like hell. I set down the knife.

"Fine," I said through tight lips. I grabbed a paper towel off of the roll and rushed to the bathroom to clean up. I heard footsteps following after me and I knew it was Liam.

"Let me help. I'll get out the antiseptic cream and a band-aid. What size do you need?" He held up four different sizes of bandaids.

I shook my head at how freaked out he was. "Just that one," I said, pointing to a normal sized one.

"Ok, right." He set it on the counter and started digging through the cabinet for the cream. "God, where did they put that?!"

"Liam, it's fine. It isn't that bad," I explained, not seeing the need for it.

"No it isn't. You cut yourself with a knife which is metal. By the way, are you caught up on your tetanus shot?" His tone was rushed and worried.

"Yes," I groaned.

"Got it," he held the tube in the air and seemed awfully proud of himself. "Sit," he ordered, gesturing to the covered toilet seat. I held out my thumb as he knelt down in front of me. "Ok, this might feel cold and I'm not sure but I don't think it's supposed to hurt." His hands felt warm against mine as he squeezed some cream onto the wound. I winced at the coldness. "It's ok, Logan. You're alright," Liam spoke quietly, calming me. "There we go," he said, putting the bandaid on. "All better," he smiled up at me, placing his hands on my knees.

"Thanks. I'm such a klutz," I giggled nervously.

"Don't worry, it was my fault."

He stood up and for the first time, I saw that he was dressed in his party clothes. His light blue shirt had the top few buttons undone and his black slacks fit him extremely well. I took a moment to stare before I stood up myself, smoothing out the skirt of my dress.

"Come on, we should get out there. Ruth will be here soon," he said. I followed him down the hall and out into the backyard. Karen had finished with the appetizers and they were now set out on a table with a bowl of punch.

"Logan, honey, are you ok? Your cut isn't too bad?" Karen came and asked.

I shook my head and held up my hand. "Nope, all taken care of," I smiled. She nodded and rushed off, probably to finish some last minute details. I looked around the backyard, noticing the many guests. They ranged in age from very young to older.

Ten minutes later, Karen gathered everyone. "I need all of you to yell out 'surprise' when I walk out with Ruth," she said, looking so happy and excited. "She's going to be here any minute!" She practically ran back inside.

"She's so cute," I told Liam as we waited.

"Yeah," he chuckled. "Oh, oh here she comes." Ruth walked through the sliding glass door with her mom.

"SURPRISE!" everyone yelled.

"Oh my gosh! I can't believe this!" The smile on her face was so big and she was blushing a little. Her blonde hair was cut short and she was wearing a cream lace covered dress. "Liam! I didn't know you were coming," she came over to us and I stood there quietly.

"And miss your party? Never," he wrapped his arms around her, hugging her tightly. "This is my friend, Logan. I met her in New York," he gestured to me by his side.

"Hi, nice to meet you," I held out my hand, but she put her arms around me. Must be a hugging family, I thought. I politely hugged and smiled at her when she let go.

"I'm so happy Liam has a friend and not just Niall," she laughed. "Thank you so much for coming, but I have to mingle I guess." She excused herself.

"She's so sweet."

Liam groaned. "Stop complimenting my family. We aren't perfect."

"Sorry, but to me it seems like it," I snapped. "I'm going to get some punch." I walked away from Liam, frustrated. I didn't mean to upset him by saying the things I did, I was just voicing what I was thinking. It made me wish that I had grown up in this family or one like it.

I grabbed a clear glass and filled it with the red colored punch. I turned around and walked a few steps away from the table. I sipped my punch and looked around the party, feeling alone.

"What's a pretty girl doing standing alone?" I looked to my left and found a tall curly haired boy with piercing green eyes. He was dressed in a crisp white button down, a skinny black tie and black pants. His accent was mesmerizing, clearly British.

I shrugged. "Just drinking my punch," I said, holding my glass up.

"Would you like some company?"

"Sure," I nodded. "But I'd like to know your name first."

"It's Harry, and you are?" He smirked. I could tell he was cocky. I wondered how the Payne's knew him.

"Logan. Let's go sit at a table. These heels are killing me." It felt nice to talk to someone other than Liam. I always felt as though he was trying to take care of me, worrying about me.

Harry followed me to a table and pulled out my chair before sitting in the one beside it. "Want something stronger than that awful punch?"

I shook my head. "I think it's fine and I don't drink alcohol."

He raised his eyebrows. "Oh?"

"Long story," I explained, not feeling like telling my life story to a stranger.

Harry shrugged. "So, I've never seen you before. How do you know Ruth?" He was leaning over the table now on his elbows.

"I came with Liam. I met him in New York, where I live."

"Liam?" Harry's jaw practically dropped at his name, his tone filled with bitterness.