Chapter 17

Jibran hummed as he skipped steps and jingled his keys on the way to his home. He missed his kids and he was craving for the company of his lovely wife.
Rida had a wonderful way of listening to the happenings in his office. She would show her utmost support if he wanted to rant about a hard day and got equally excited listening to his success stories. Talking to her, sipping a cup of coffee and watching the kids play around always alleviated his mood.

He entered the hall and chimed "I am home". But instead of finding his wife and kids waiting for him as usual, he saw his mother instructing someone to dust the upper corner of the wall. Strangely enough Haya was crying on the floor while Hamza had chocolate all over his face and clothes.

"What's going on?", he scooped Haya in his arms and asked his mother.

Mrs Qadir looked at him and said in a shrill voice, "Aye Haye! Why did you pick her up? You are just back from work and must be tired as hell. Let her be she is just a crybaby." She motioned as to take baby from him.

"It's fine, Maa. I can sooth her. But where is Rida?" He asked looking around as he tried to calm his daughter. Poor Haya was almost quite now but she was irritated as if she was neglected for a long time.

"Hain! Bahoo get down from there and give your husband some tea!" Mrs Qadir said to the person standing on the stool with a broom in her hand.

Jibran gaped at the muddy and dishevelled figure of Rida who was looking worse than a duster herself. Her clothes were stained with weird stains of dust and grease, her hair was matted and stuck to her scalp and she looked tired and ready to cry.

"What in the world?" He rushed to her side and helped her getting down from the high stool.

"Arey she can come down on her own. Don't go near her. You will get dust all over you." His mother tried to shoo him away.

Ignoring his mother, he held Rida from shoulders and asked in a worried tone, "Why are you like this? Where is Bano?"

Rida didn't reply and took Haya in her arms who had started to cry again. The poor child was hungry and missing her mother's touch for the whole day.

Mrs Qadir told Jibran that she fired Bano and how he should not be worried as this was the job of every wife. She was saying something else too but Jibran tuned her out as he whispered to his wife.
"Take Haya in our bedroom. I will bring her milk."

Rida nodded and slowly made way to their bedroom with Hamza in tow.

Jibran turned to his mother, "Maa, why don't you take a warm bath and then we will enjoy tea and snacks?"