Chapter 16

Rida was slowly ascending the stairs dreading the time she had to spent with her MIL again. She had deliberately waited a couple extra minutes after Jibran left for office. She was nearly there when a shrill voice entered her ears.

"Aye Haye! You stupid girl."

Rida entered the lounge in time to see a cowering Bano trying to clear the remnants of her favourite glass platter. She had bought this one last year from Gul Plaza. It was a striking piece in the shape of a fish. The craftsmanship was amazing as it reflected light in a myriad and captures the attention of all.

A dejected Bano was now mopping the floor to minimise the damage caused by the thick oily gravy. Her mother in law Mrs Qadeer kept lashing profanities at the poor maid making Rida flinch at the cruelty of the situation.

She couldn't stop herself from intervening and said in a placid tone,
"It's alright Ammee. It must be a mistake. Bano is a lot careful usually."

"That's all your fault Bahoo. You depend on lowly folks like her to complete the chores which should be done by you originally. My poor son works like a horse day and night to earn every penny and this is how you waste it! Why not throw it in the trash instead." Mrs Qadeer knew no bounds.
In her eyes her daughter in law had a lesser place than anyone, and she didn't leave a chance to make her realise her place.

Rida had forgotten how harsh her MIL could be and she blinked back the tears and looked at Bano forlornly who was cautiously moving to discard the chunks of the broken platter.

Mrs Qadeer went to sit on the sofa muttering to herself. Rida followed Bano to the kitchen and quietly told her to not come for a week till her MIL could finish her visit and leave her house. Tears escaped her eyes as Rida sneakily placed two notes of 1000 rupees in her hands. Bano dried her tears by the corner of her dupatta. She silently bade farewell and left the house.

A/N 2000 pkr is roughly around 20 usd

Dupatta is a scarf worn by women in Pakistan to cover their head.