Chapter 6

Laraib welcomed Rida with open arms. They blew kisses and Rida gave her Tupperware container to Shareefa.

 Shareefa was the new house help whom Laraib has recently hired. Shareefa quickly went to the kitchen as the two ladies joined their other friends in the hall. She carefully opened the container and arranged the cakes on the tray.

Just then the back door opened and Ramzo entered laden with two large paper bags.

 "Quick! Hide these bags in here and be very careful to take out these Pasta dishes in the new dinner set Begum Sahb asked you to get ready," Ramzo hurriedly explained to a bewildered Shareefa.

She didn't know that Laraib cannot cook to save her life!

 All through this time Laraib carefully presented the takeaways in her own utensils to keep her nose up in the air. 

Without knowing about the self-inflicted miseries wrapped around the lives of these sparkling Begum Sahbs she felt a pang of remorse thinking about her daughter who had gone to school after eating the stale chapatti, Shareefa had been given the previous day.  

She was hopeful she would get more of this colorful food today. She was ready to carefully transfer any leftovers in the old shopping bag she always brought to the Sahab's house when they throw a party. 

They don't eat most food usually. Shareefa always found untouched food on their plates and was more than happy to collect that in her trustworthy shopping bag. Her children now pray that Sahab Log could have a party every day and she smiled a little melancholy, thinking about their grinning faces.

Oblivious to the real problems like hunger and poverty, the ladies were laughing at some new gossip, Naila was telling them about the daughter of Mrs

Oblivious to the real problems like hunger and poverty, the ladies were laughing at some new gossip, Naila was telling them about the daughter of Mrs. Khalid who had broken her engagement because the guy scored loudly. 

Now everyone was curious how she found about his sleeping habits as no one is supposed to sleep together before marriage in their culture.

 "You don't think they already did it? Do you?", Laraib asked in an innocent voice.

 "Oh! It's not a big deal. I am telling you", Mawra made a face as she gave her two cents on the topic.

 "What do you mean?", asked a perplexed Rida. 

"My cousin has tried her fiance too", Mawra announced proudly. "They went to his farmhouse for a weekend one month before the wedding", she added carelessly.

 Rida didn't like the idea of "trying" your would-be spouse. After all, you are not buying a dress for yourself that you may return the purchase if you didn't like the size. Rida was thinking to say this, but Shareefa entered the room just then.

 Rida was thinking to say this, but Shareefa entered the room just then

Thank you for reading The Chronicles of Rida. I would love to hear your thoughts. Please press the vote button if you like it ⭐️