viii

The next morning, Ariel woke up before Lucifer

    The next morning, Ariel woke up before Lucifer. She had no idea what to do, so she stayed there, hugging his chest. She looked up, seeing his mouth was slightly open as snores escaped his lips. She placed her fingers on his chin, feeling his rough stubble underneath her finger tips. Her hands moved back down to his chest, tracing the outline of his muscles with her fingers. She was always amazed at how fit he was. He was, well, perfect.

    "You're so handsome..." she whispered, pressing a kiss to his pec. Oh, how she wanted to press a kiss to his lips. But Lucifer would of done it first if he really wanted it. The devil started to stir, tossing his hands around the bed. His eyes slowly fluttered open and Ariel was happy to see his brown orbs. He blinked a few times before smiling back at Ariel, cupping her cheek with his hand.

    "Good morning, Ariel." He pushed a few strands of hair out of her face, moving his fingers down to her lip. He pulled her bottom lip down, chuckling as she watched him in confusion.

    "Well, I thought since you were touching me during my slumber, I'd just return the favour." Her cheeks heated up incredibly, and her mind wandered.

    "Hey, I really am sorry for my freak out last night. You know, maybe Linda was right, maybe I should go and visit her." She laughed at herself, though Lucifer knit his eyebrows.

    "Ariel, there's absolutely no need to apologize for last night. You are a innocent woman who had to deal with some scumbag's abuse for years. You are perfectly inclined to feel sadness and fear, but dear, I would never, ever let that happen to you. I am here for you, always." His hands wrapped around hers, showing his sincerity. She looked into his eyes, and they had a beautiful shine to them. Ariel felt her heart grow, glad to know that Lucifer would protect her.

    "Thank you," she threw her arms around his back, flinching when she touched his scars. She immediately retracted her hands, terrified that Lucifer would yell at her again.

    "Ariel, it's fine. For some reason, I don't feel the usual pain. Here, place your hand on my back." He turned his body and Ariel did as instructed, still a little scared. Was this all a ruse for him to purposely get mad at her? She placed her fingers on his scars, closing her eyes. She was expecting something bad, yet nothing happened. Nothing at all. So she traced her fingers over the scarred skin, yet Lucifer didn't react.

    "See, no pain. It's odd, really." He turned to face her again, seeing that scared expression spread across her face. His eyebrows knit and he leaned in, tilting his head to examine the girl.

    "What's wrong?" Ariel shrugged it off, but Lucifer was persistent. He wasn't going to stop until he got an answer.

    "No, please, tell me, come on, you can tell me anything." His raspy morning voice sent a large shiver down Ariel's back.