Chapter 14

JASMIN

Venice was magnificient! My first views after getting off the coach onto the water taxi were breathtaking! I can't believe it! I'm really in Venice. All around me, it was a Babel of voices and United Nations of tourists. There were people from China, speaking Mandarin, others from Spain, French, English speakers like myself and of course Italian. It was exhilarating, an experience of a lifetime and I was going to make the most of it!

As the tour guide got us loaded onto the water taxi that was going to take us into the Venice centre, I tried to get as close to the window as possible. I didn't want to miss anything. The taxi got underway and we moved seamlessly through the water. There were boats of all shapes and sizes on the canal making the canal bustle with a vibrant energy of its own.

Along the way, I saw gondolas taking tourists out for a ride, those looking to have that romantic gondola ride to cross off their bucket list. A bit corny if you ask me though, but I suddenly had an image of Lorenzo and me in a gondola. His arms around me, my head nestled in his shoulder and me feeling warm, safe and loved. I sighed and mentally shook myself out of those thoughts. He walked out of my life, I needed to let it go.

Getting off at St Mark's Square, the hotel was a short distance away so pulling our luggage along was not too bad. We settled our stuff in our rooms and then headed out to begin our tour. St. Mark's square and villa were the first sites we visited and then we headed to the Rialto Bridge and the Bridge of sighs.

Most of the tour group were married or engaged and somehow being in Venice heightened their romantic natures. There was an increase in kisses, hugs, smiles, laughter – it was becoming annoying really!

"Are you as jealous as I am right now?" someone spoke softly to my left. I turned to see Margaret, a middle aged widow who had taken the trip to ease her loneliness after her husband had died two years ago.

"What?" I asked

"All this kissing and hugging is a bit much, don't you think? They are just rubbing our faces in it! Or is it just me?" She asked with a smile on her face.

I laughed, "There can never be too much romance, actually"

"Then why the long face then, honey?" Margaret asked.

I pause and turn to look out over the canal, refusing to look at her and then I said " I guess I may be a bit jealous, which is silly really. I'm in one of the most beautiful cities in the world and I just want to share the experience with someone special, you know..." There was a pause, Margaret said nothing but I could feel her eyes on me.

"Life is not truly lived if you don't have someone special to share it with. My husband taught me that." She said softly. Touching my shoulder lightly, she continued, "What I've also learned is that life goes on even if we don't have that special one in it right now, so we must make every effort to live life in the Now, don't waste the time we have in the present"

Turning around, I looked at her and her eyes gave me that soft encouragement to smile. "You're right"

"I know I am" She laughs. She hooks her arm through mine and we begin to walk through some of the shops not far from the square. We share laughs, buy souvenirs, have a drink overlooking the square. As the sun begins to set, we head back to the hotel to get ready for dinner. A day well spent with great company and though brief moments had me thinking about Lorenzo, I was focused on enjoying my trip of a lifetime to the fullest.

A bit short, not much action but the next chapter will be from lorenzo's point of view.

Don't forget to comment and vote!