Chapter 73: Broken

Zacznij od początku

A few months ago I could've easily kicked his scrawny little ass, but now? I'd say there maybe could be an even fight.

"Dude, what the hell is wrong with you?" I asked him, wide-eyed.

"No! What the hell is wrong with you? How could you let Lia go through with that? She's been through enough."

"Mason, get off of him." Lina tried pulling him back but it was no use.

"Someone was following us and I tried losing them but...then we hit a dead end, and she pushed me out of the way before I could take the hit!" I explained so fast I could hardly remember what I said.

"Mason, let go!" Lina pulled him off of me, grabbing him into a hug.

I heard soft sobs coming from him, as he leaned onto his twin sister for support. I straightened my jacket and shirt, trying hard not to cry.

"Look, I think the person who hit Lia was the same person at the game." I told the both of them.

"What?" They said in unison.

Freaky.

"They could've easily followed us to LA, if they were tracking us thoroughly." I shoved my hands into my pants pockets.

"What happened to protecting her, man? What happened to never letting her out of our sight?"  Mason looked defeated.

"I wasn't in the right state of mind. Some things happened on that trip that I don't really feel like talking about because it's still new to me, but that was all I could think about."

"What? What's more important than Lia's safety?"

"Nothing is more important than that to me. I-I just..." I sighed. "I'm not in the mood to explain."

"Whatever." Mason spat, looking at me with daggers. "If she doesn't wake up, this is all your fault."

The air seemed to get hotter, and it felt as though I couldn't breathe.

If she doesn't wake up.

She has to, right? She can't die. She can't.

I won't let her.

I've already lost her so many times. I can't lose her again.

I slump into the hospital chair, waiting and wondering for a miracle. Anything to make this heartbreak and pain disappear.

All I could think of is:

What are we going to do?

We can't keep living like this. With pain and danger. We need to fix this problem and find out who's behind this all.

Before Lia ends up six feet underground.

I shiver at that thought.

Soon enough, I felt a presence beside me and I turned my head to find the nurse staring back at me. Like she was ready to speak of an update on Lia.