Together, until the last moment

Start from the beginning

A gust of wind caught the floor-length curtains behind him, causing them to drift around Magnus' body in swirling motions. The fresh air gently stroked over the bare skin on his neck, causing a shiver to run down his spine, and it made him wish for Alec's lips there instead.

Magnus closed his eyes, enjoying the pleasant feeling of the breeze cascading on his skin for a moment longer before turning around to close the window. He then quietly walked over to their bed and sat down on the mattress, mindful not to wake Alec.

The assassin bent forward, carefully took off his shoes and placed them next to the bed. Then he rested his elbows on his thighs, letting his hands hang between his legs. Slowly and deliberately, he exhaled, pushing the thoughts of the mission aside, gradually lifting the mask of Ajan Hitam until he was once again Magnus Bane, Duke of Edom.

A movement beside him drew his attention back to the bed. Magnus turned his head and looked down at Alec. The first light of the slowly rising sun penetrated their bedroom illuminating the room just enough that Magnus could see the delicate features of Alec's face. He looked so much younger and more peaceful in his sleep, free from all the worries and problems that his life as King of Idris brought.

Magnus blinked once and reached his right hand out, gently stroking over Alec's forehead. He brushed a stray hair from his fiancé's face and another smile tugged at his lips when he saw Alec wrinkle his nose in his sleep. Still asleep, Alec buried his face further into the soft pillows beneath him and unconsciously let out a long, contented sigh.

A warm feeling spread through Magnus, dancing through his body like gentle electric sparks. Even though they had been together for more than two years, he still felt like he was freshly enamoured.

The assassin kept his eyes on Alec's face. His gaze caressed Alec's perfectly curved eyebrows, following his high cheekbones until finally, his eyes landed on Alec's mouth. Magnus bit his lower lip as he let his eyes wander along the contours of his plumptious, pillowy lips. He recalled the last kiss they shared during the early evening just before he had left for his latest mission. It had been a kiss that held so many emotions; so much so, it had made him dizzy. In addition to love, affection, and desire, Magnus had also tasted the worry Alec always felt when he left to perform his next mission as an assassin at night.

"Do you see something you like?"

Magnus blinked in surprise. He had been so deeply in thought that he hadn't even noticed Alec open his eyes.

"Very much so," Magnus hummed, looking up to meet his lover's gaze. Alec threw him a sleepy expression through his eyelashes.

The King reached his hand out and placed his palm on Magnus' right thigh; the warmth of Alec's hand immediately spread pleasantly through the fabric of his trousers.

"How did it go?" Alec asked, rubbing the sleep from his eyes with the heel of his other hand.

Magnus interlaced his hand with the hand Alec had placed on his thigh and stroked his thumb softly across his palm.

"Oh, quite well. I delivered the package, tied up neatly in front of the police headquarters."

Alec nodded contentedly and squeezed his hand. Even though Magnus was not always able to deliver his target to the police so that they could receive their just punishment, he endeavoured to, time and again. It took a lot of extra work because he had to make sure that the proofs he gave to the police were ironclad.

However, Magnus thought it was worth the effort. Over the past two years, he had rarely completed a mission using the Order's traditional methods and would only, if unable to resolve it otherwise. Magnus had found a compromise on whereby he could continue to serve the Order without having to deal with the sinful act of killing. There was undoubtedly still the occasional whisper throughout the Order, regarding why he rarely killed as an assassin anymore, even though they had accepted it at his inauguration, but Magnus no longer worried about the members' rumour mill.