The high price

Magnus stepped out from behind the Duke, seeing that Jace was holding the photos of Alec with the victims in his hands. The blond man's hands trembled slightly; but whether it was from a subdued rage or horror, Magnus couldn't tell. The assassin cursed under his breath at his own carelessness, clenching his hands into fists. Shit. They shouldn't have left the photos lying around on the desk on display.

"Alec... Are you the full moon murderer? Was Valentine right?" The bodyguard's voice dripped with consternation, which had Alec wincing.

"By the angels, no!"

Jace looked back and forth between Alec and the photos, trying to attain some sort of explanation for these pictures he held in his hands.

"Jace, it's not what it looks like," Alec said, trying to clarify the situation to his best friend, taking a step towards him.

"Stay where you are, Alec! Don't come any closer!" Jace yelled.

His words reverberated through the room and Magnus caught Alec jerking to a halt from the corner of his eye, raising his hands in a pacifying gesture.

"Jace, do you really think that I'm capable of doing something as horrible as this?" Alec quietly asked, unable to keep the pain from his voice.

"I...no... but... these photos..." Jace stumbled over his own words, staring back at the pictures in his hands.

"The photos are fake, Jace," Magnus intruded.

Jace's head shot up, staring at Magnus as if he had just realised that the assassin was also present.

"And you know this, how?" Jace asked, squinting his eyes in suspicion.

"Alexander is innocent," Magnus answered, shrugging his shoulders. He knew that this explanation wouldn't satisfy the bodyguard, but he wasn't ready to reveal any of his secrets just yet, not if it could be avoided.

Jace snorted in disbelief.

"These photos tell me something else."

"Jace, please... you have to believe me. I'm not the murderer."

Jace's face darkened. Magnus could see that the blond man was fighting down his emotions, that he really wanted to believe Alec, but the photos were making it hard for the man to believe him. The assassin couldn't blame Jace. The photos looked deceptively real and anyone, no matter how familiar they were, would doubt Alec's innocence.

Magnus unfolded his arms and moved nearer to Alec, all the while, closely watching the bodyguard. In case Jace was contemplating getting too close to Alec, Magnus wouldn't hesitate for one second, to intervene. Reaching slowly behind himself for the small knife hidden under his shirt, he didn't draw it out. He would only use it against Jace if the need arose, the assassin hoped that it wouldn't.

A silence extended between them and the air grew tense and agitated almost to breaking point. Neither of the three men risked making the next move. Magnus thought about how best to convince Jace of Alec's innocence, searching for a way to prevent Jace from discussing the photos with anyone else. If they were unable to convince the bodyguard of Alec’s innocence and persuade him to accept that Alec is not a murderer, without any doubt, the assassin would have to intervene, which he is certain Alec wouldn't like.

Magnus quietly sighed, forcing away the thought. He didn't want to worry about such a scenario just yet, hopefully, there would be another solution.

"Okay", Jace said pulling Magnus out of his thoughts, "I believe you, Alec, for the moment!"

Alec released a slow breath and Magnus felt some tension leave his body, but he kept his hand resting on the hilt of the knife at his back. Just in case.