Follow the whispers of your heart

Alec didn't know what had woken him. It was dark in the bedroom, only the milky rays from the moon and glimmering stars illuminated the bedroom’s interior with a pale light. Alec blinked sporadically as he tried to adjust his vision to the dismal darkness. It took a few seconds, but he discerned that it was eerily quiet in the room. Too quiet , he thought. Alec fumbled blindly in the darkness to feel the space next to him but found the other side of the bed cold and empty.

A glance at the alarm clock revealed that it was just after two in the morning. Frustrated, he rubbed his face, trying to dispel the tiredness that was bidding to drag him back to sleep.

A yawn escaped him as he sat up to gather himself out of bed and without turning the light on, he reached for his sweater and sweatpants which he had thrown over one of the two armchairs before going to bed. Goosebumps spread over his upper body and Alec would have liked nothing more than to crawl back under the warm covers, but he wanted to check on Magnus. Quickly, he put on his sweater and pants and immediately felt warmer for it.

It was the second night in a row that Magnus didn't really sleep. Alec had barely seen the assassin over the past two days, as Magnus had been busy desperately trying to find out where Lilith had disappeared too. The assassin was certain that she was the one who had sent the doctored photos. But why? This remained a mystery. Unfortunately, an examination of her apartment revealed nothing, much less a lead to anything.

Alec found Magnus on the balcony. The assassin stood with his back to the french doors, his arms perched on the parapet, his head tilted slightly backwards. Magnus wore only a thin dressing gown and matching pyjama bottoms and the sight alone caused a cold shiver to run down the Duke's spine. He must be freezing.

Deciding that something warm to drink might helpt, Alec went into the kitchen. He searched for the tea Izzy had brought with her on one of her visits and found it in the corner of one of the cupboards. The box was still sealed. Alec normally preferred coffee, but he thought that tea would be a better choice for a nighttime drink.

The smell of cinnamon and orange flowed from the box when he opened it, and Alec took a closer look at the packaging. Happiness tea was written on the box, he shook his head and rolled his eyes.

Juggling the two teacups in one hand, Alec reached for a woollen blanket on his way to the balcony. He quietly opened the glass door and joined Magnus under the stars.

“I hope you like cinnamon and orange. Unfortunately, I have nothing else," Alec said apologetically.

Magnus turned to him and Alec realized he that didn't even look surprised to see him. The assassin accepted one of the two cups, smiling gratefully at him.

“Thank you, Alexander. Orange and cinnamon, is just perfect."

Returning the smile, Alec put his mug on the small side table and unfolded the wool blanket he had brought out with him. The assassin looked surprised when he draped it over his shoulders.

“You are trembling."

“Oh, I didn't notice."

“So lost in thought?"

“Mmm ..."

“What are you thinking about? "

“Everything and nothing," The assassin murmured.

Alec raised an eyebrow but said nothing. If Magnus wanted to talk about it, he would do so. Alec had learned over the past few days that pushing him wouldn't help. 

Silence spread between them as they drank their tea, enjoying each other's company for the moment.

“Have you ever wondered if anyone lives on one of those stars?" Alec asked after a few minutes, looking up to the nights’ sky.