Together, until the last moment

Cautiously approaching the roof's edge, Magnus gingerly placed one foot in front of the other to avoid making any loud noises. It was a late, beautiful but somewhat fresh summer night; not so cold that he was freezing in his assassin garb but nippy enough that he yearned for the warmth of Alec and his bed, only one small obstacle.

Magnus bent his knees as he slowly angled forward, hunched over to look down and over the edge. Two men from the royal guard were standing under the window to his and Alec's bedroom, whispering. Customarily, they were to patrol the grounds of the King's mansion, but it wasn't entirely uncommon for the guardsmen to take a short break now and then. Magnus wouldn't usually mind, but the two men were hindering him from getting back to his bedroom, and he longed for his bed, for Alexander's strong and warm arms wrapped around him.

Magnus impatiently drummed his fingers against the roof tiles. He's been waiting for over ten minutes now, and he was slowly losing patience. It wasn't the first time Magnus had come home from a mission only to have his approach hampered by the royal guardsmen.

Alec had asked him more than once why he didn't just walk through the front door, but Magnus found it too risky. If anyone were to notice the King's fiancé regularly sneaking in and out of the house at night, it would just give the wrong impression and raise further suspicion.

The assassin sighed as he took his phone from the inside pocket of his coat and dialled Jace's number. Since the day Alec had been crowned King of Idris a good two years ago now, Jace had assumed charge of the King's Guards. Fortunately, the bodyguard or Lord commander to be more precisely answered his phone after the third ring.

"Don't tell me you need me to distract my men again, Magnus?" Jace mumbled sleepily into the phone.

"I wouldn't need to if your well-trained men hadn't made themselves comfortable under our bedroom window for a nocturnal discussion," Magnus replied quietly so that the two men wouldn't hear him.

Jace groaned, and Magnus could hear the rustle of bed covers as the bodyguard was probably getting himself out of bed.

"All right, I'll take care of it."

"Thank you," Magnus softly sang, a light grin in his tone.

"No problem, Your Highness," Jace grumbled. The assassin could practically hear Alec's bodyguard rolling his eyes on the other end of the phone.

Magnus ended the conversation without saying another word, but he didn't miss it as Jace started mumbling to himself. "Always these damn special requests."

Magnus shook his head in amusement and put the phone back into his coat pocket. A few moments later, the chime of a phone echoed through the quietness of the night, followed by the apologetic and nervous words from one of the two guards. It didn't take more than another minute for the two men to continue on their way.

Magnus waited until they disappeared around a corner before beginning his descent from the roof with skilled movements. He climbed over the edge and then proficiently slid down the wall, using the wide cracks between the stones to support his weight.

Moments later, Magnus was standing on the wide window ledge of their bedroom. He carefully opened the window and jumped into the dark-room, landing on the wooden floor in a crouch with gentle, silent feet.

Magnus raised his eyes; they landed on Alec's silhouette sprawling on his side of their bed; the covers pulled up to his chin. The assassin rose from his position and gazed at the sleeping figure in front of him. A smile formed on Magnus' lips when he heard soft snoring, a sign that Alec was sleeping soundly and peacefully.