The Full Moon Murderer

Magnus stood concealed by the night’s shadows within a small side alley. A blanket of darkness and heavy clouds hid the full moon from view tonight, and it was surprisingly still and sombre. Leaning against the wall of a dilapidated house which looks to have once been a household commodities store, the assassin observed what was happening on the main street. The hood of his dark coat hung low over his forehead, hiding his face from prying eyes.

Magnus had found Lilith… 

Finally… 

The trail he'd been following for three days straight had finally led him to her. He hadn't told Alec about it during their last phone call. Magnus hadn't wanted to worry him.

Lilith stood with her back toward the alley only a few meters away from him and spoke with someone on the phone. A street lamp illuminated her silhouette, the light bathed her in a mystical golden glow. The assassin repeatedly ran her fingers through her long black hair, which fell to drape delicately over her left shoulder. More than once, she allowed her eyes to wander over the people walking past; it looked as if she were waiting for someone.

Magnus narrowed his eyes in concentration as he tried to deduce what Lilith was saying over the phone. Unfortunately, she spoke so softly that her words were lost to the din of night. Magnus carefully pondered his next move. Surely, he could just pull her into the side street - do what he had come to do. However, Magnus wanted to remain inconspicuous and not draw unwanted attention to himself. He also didn't know who she was talking with on the phone. It could very well be the full moon murderer themself and he had promised Alec he would find out whatever Lilith knew. That meant he couldn't just kill her in this dark side street.

Minutes passed by as Magnus waited patiently to see what Lilith would do next. He almost thought that the other assassin would put down roots right here on the street when she suddenly moved to continue on her way. Magnus detached himself from the cold wall and followed her. Fortunately, even despite the late hour, the street was still bustling and the assassin was able to move inconspicuously between the townspeople.

Magnus followed Lilith through the streets of New York until she stopped in front of a hotel - it had seen better days. A few of the neon lights on the sign above the inconspicuous entrance of the hotel were broken and read simply - Hotel Demon. The lights in other letters flickered intermittently and the name appeared in full, for but a moment in the darkness of the night.

Pandemonium… 

A strange name for a hotel, Magnus thought as he wondered whether the owner had deliberately left the sign in a state of disrepair?

Lilith finished her phone call and glanced over her shoulder once more before entering the hotel. Magnus stepped out of the shadows of an adjacent building. He pushed the hood of his coat away from his face and followed the assassin into the hotel. The revolving doors squeaked, the noise echoed loudly in his ears. The mechanism could definitely use a spritz of oil.

Magnus stepped into the entrance hall and was immediately greeted by the unmistakable scent of jasmine that hung heavy in the air in the hotel lobby. The aroma was so intense it was almost as if a group of fragrant women had just passed him by. Without stopping, he let his eyes roam through the dimly lit lobby. 

A group of fairly old leather armchairs sat abandoned to his right, waiting for a hotel guest to be enticed to make themselves comfortable there. Particles of dust danced through the air and the lobby was empty except for an elderly gentleman who was being welcomed by an employee at the reception desk. Magnus frowned. It certainly wasn’t a place where he would have expected Lilith to seek shelter.

The assassin recovered his pace and quickly caught up with Lilith, who was heading straight for the elevators. He put his arm around the assassin's waist and pulled her close against the side of his body, a knife at her back - that he had slipped from his sleeve. She winced and looked up at him, a surprised expression flitted in her eyes. She most definitely hadn't expected him to find her this night. Magnus lowered his head and placed a kiss on her temple, playing the lover. The heavy, floral scent of her perfume reached his nostrils and Magnus had to suppress the impulse to grimace.