A zoom into the truth

Magnus was roused by the sound of a slow and steady pulse, the sound of life beating beneath him at the same steady pace and rhythm as his own heart - as if both hearts were beating as one. Sleepily, he listened to the thump, thump, thump of Alec's heart against his ear as he rested upon Alec’s chest and for the first time in a long time Magnus felt safe and protected. Savouring this peaceful moment which he found here within the other man's arms, the assassin snuggled further into the warmth of the body next to him, not yet ready to face the day.

The sound of Alec's soft and adorable snores filled the silence in the bedroom and Magnus smiled to himself. Lazily, he caressed the Duke's stomach, tracing the contours of the muscles that he could distinctly feel under the skin with his fingers.

“That tickles." Alec chuckled softly.

Magnus tilted his head upward and his eyes were met by the Duke’s lingering and somewhat sleepy gaze through his somnolent heavy eyes.

“Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you."

“It's alright, babe."

Alec pressed a kiss into his hair as Magnus' heart fluttered at the endearment. The assassin rested his chin on one hand and brushed aside a stray strand of hair from Alec's forehead, feeling elated and enjoying being able to have this peaceful morning with Alec. An unexpected piercing pain shot through his right shoulder. Magnus sharply inhaled the air hissing as he drew in a breath between his teeth. Ouch… 

For a delightful moment in time, Magnus had forgotten his injury… 

“Are you all right?" Alec asked as he narrowed his brows, studying him with a daunted worried expression on his face.

“Yeah, I'm okay."

Magnus sat up, tightly gripping his throbbing shoulder.

“Are you sure?"

The assassin nodded in reply, glancing at the alarm clock on the bedside table. It was just after nine am. Too early for Magnus' liking. He slumped back into the pillows, looking up at the ceiling. Magnus felt the mattress shift beside him and after a few seconds, Alec emerged above him, a frown clouding his face.

“Is everything really okay? You’re not lying to me?"

Magnus rolled his eyes but smiled.

“I'm fine… Really… It's just a little scratch, nothing more. I won't feel it at all in a few days." 

Magnus wasn't used to other people worrying about him. He raised his hand and gently stroked Alec's forehead, smoothing the line of worry from between his brows with his fingertips.

Alec bent down, his face was suddenly so very near to Magnus' that the assassin could feel Alec’s delicate warm breath caressing his skin. 

“Thank you," Alec whispered.

“For what?"

“For saving my life… Twice."

“Anyone would have done the same."

The duke shook his head.

“No, Magnus, that's not true. So again, thank you."

Before Magnus could say anything, Alec bridged the remaining few inches between them, rubbing his nose gentle over his. The assassin giggled under his breath, feeling a burst of warmth exploding within his heart. Never in his lifetime had someone actually thanked him for saving their life… Magnus had never felt so loved as he did in this moment. Loved… Magnus blinked a few times, overwhelmed by his own thoughts.