False hope

I woke up with an IV in my hand. My arm is bandaged up with gauze. I look around and saw Daryl alseep in the chair beside me. Dog was on the bed next to me. He whimpered and licked my other hand as I smiled down at him.

"I'm ok." I pet him.

"You sure? Had me worried." I look over at Daryl as he sits up.

"I'm sorry. I was just tired. My legs just gave out." I shrugged my shoulders.

"Siddiq said you were dehydrated. You needed stitches for that cut. There was something else too but he isn't sure. Wants to run some test when you wake up." He got up from the chair as I sat up. Dog looks over at Daryl.

"Stay." Daryl tells Dog. Dog laid back down.

"Did he say what kind or how long it'll take?" I asked as I reach over and grab the glass of water that was set out.

"No. He just wanted me to tell him when you wake up. I'll send him in. I'll be back in a bit." He walks over and kisses my forehead and hands me the glass of water. I take a couple of sips as I watch Daryl leave the room. Dog stared at me as he placed his head on my lap. I put the glass back as Siddiq came in.

"Hey you. I just finished up with Eugene. He's next door. How are you feeling?" Siddiq says as he walks over to my IV bag. Completely dry.

"I guess I'm alright. Just tired. Daryl said you wanted to run some test?" I asked as I watched him change the fluid bag out.

"Yes, I have a few questions to before I start. Just to make sure its only dehydration. I don't want to miss something." Siddiq says as pulls the chair up to the bed as I adjust myself. Dog stayed still with his head on my lap. I had my good hand on his head petting every few minutes.

"when you were out in the woods before you both came to hilltop. Did you drink the water from the river?" Siddiq asked as he grabbed his pen and notepad.

"I filtered it but yes." I think back.

"And for food? What did you guys do about that?" He asked.

"Anything Daryl caught we cooked. Squirrels, snakes and rabbit. usually it was fish. Used the same water we filtered for stew or cooking." I told him as he nodded his head.

"Last time you had intercourse?" Siddiq coughed as I choked on my own spit. I regained my breath as I look at him puzzled.

"Is that really important?" I asked.

"Could be pregnant. Possibly. Fatigue or your body over heating is very common." Siddiq says as he scratches the back of his head.

"Its been a week or so." I tried to think. We're really not that active.

"I'll go ahead and test you. Test again in a  few more weeks since the last time was a week or so ago. Test don't normally pick up this early. Hopefully I'm right and its just dehydration." Siddiq said as he stood up and went to the cabinet.

"Thats it? Go around with the fake questions but the real one was that? As awkward as it was you should have went straight to the point." I scoffed.

"I'm sorry its just awkward for me," Siddiq starts.

"How? You are a doctor, it should be routine." I cut him off.

"Rosita is pregnant." He sighs.

"Oh shit." My eyes widened. I remember Eugene telling me that her and Siddiq had a thing going on before. I think shes with Gabriel now.

"Yeah." Siddiq sighed again as he hands me the pregnancy test. He unhooks my IV and helps me out of bed.

"Down dog." I tell dog as he jumps off the bed.

"Well, you'll be a good dad. It'll work out. Eventually." I give him a small smile and go straight to the bathroom. I pee on the stick, wash my hands and come out handing him the test. 

"Any other symptoms?" Siddiq asked.

"Not that I know of." I shake my head and climb back in bed.

"So it's negative but it might be too early. We'll try again in a couple of weeks. Just in case I'm not aroumd here's a stick for you to take on your own. Sounds good?" He asked as he hands me the drug store pregnancy test. I nod my head as I put it with my stuff.

"Can we not tell Daryl. Please. I don't wanna give him false hope." Siddiq nods his head and cleans everything up. He hooks me back on the IV.

"You'll do one more bag and then I'll let you leave. Maybe just in time for Jesus funeral. I'll let Daryl know he can come back." He said as he walks over to the bathroom and shuts the door. He collects his things and starts to head out.

"Thank you, Siddiq. I appreciate it." I tell him as Dog jumps back up on the bed. Siddiq nods his head and leaves.