Marry me?

Weeks had passed after our little Walker incident. We finally build up the wall again and scheduled more watches. I'm like a brand new person now with the blood Jay gave me. My leg was better and I had stitches in my side. I learned that Jay was separated from Glenn and Nicholas. Daryl picked her up on the side of the road with Sasha and Abraham. They ran into some people that call themselves Negan. Apparently Daryl blew them up. Daryl, Jay and I got a house to ourselves. Jay says we are like a family. I told her that all of us are family including Abraham and Rick's group. We protect each other.

I stayed home and made dinner while Jay took a nap. She had gate duty for the night. Daryl went on a run with Glenn, Michonne and Aaron. Denise said they needed more hydrogen peroxide and IV bags. Rick told me this morning they were hitting a local medical college. Aaron said they would be back before dinner. I made chicken noodle soup and grilled cheeses. Thank god the solar panels still work. It was starting to get dark.

"I'm heading out. See you in the morning." Jay walks in the kitchen and grabs her sniper.

"Alright, be careful. Daryl and the rest should be back soon. I made dinner for you." I hand her a container of soup and the sandwich in a bag. She smiles at me and kisses my check.

"Love you too, kiddo." She runs out the door on her way to the gate. She has grown up in time.

It was fully pitch dark now. Solar panels weren't working anymore. Inside lit up candles throughout the house. I sit on the sofa reading a book. It was called The Outsiders. It was an interesting book. I remember when Jay went to school her teacher assigned this book for her to read.

The front door opens wide as Daryl walks in setting his bag on the kitchen counter.

"Harley?" His voice grumbles.

"In here." I call over my shoulder as I shut the book and walk over to him. My arms wrapped around his neck as I kiss him gently. His arms wrapped around my waist fully bringing me closer to him.

"How did it go?" I ask him.

"It was alright. Found some stuff and these too." Daryl shoves both his hands in his pockets and pulls them out. In one hand he had a silver chained necklace that had a bird charm on it. In the other hand he held two titanium rings. One was a plain band and the other had a princess cut diamond.

"The necklace is for Jay. Because you always call her your little jaybird. The rings are for us. If you want it." He says as I look up at him.

"Shouldn't you be down on one knee for that kind of ring?" A smile forms on my face as Daryl nods his head and smirks. He shoves the necklace back in his pocket as he gets down on one knee. He grabs my hand and looks up at me. I couldn't fight back the smile anymore. My cheeks were turning red as I bit my lip.

"So uh, I don't know how these things go. But I do know that I love you. And I want to love you forever. As long as we keep fighting. As long as you still love me, I'll always fight for and love you. I'll always be there and protect you and Jay. So I guess this is the part where I ask you to marry me?" He grins.

"Yeah." I laugh lightly.

"So will you?"

"I will." I nod my head.

He stands up and hugs me tightly. As I hug him back. It might not be your most romantic proposal but I love it. He pulls away and hands me the ring. I slide it on my finger and surprisingly it fits perfectly.

"How did you know my ring size?"

"I didn't, I guessed. Funny how these things work out." He looks at me.

"It was as if it was meant to be." I said quietly. He slides his ring on.

"So is the necklace there to kiss up to Jay because you are marrying her sister?" Rick stood in the door frame with Judith.

"Hey man." Daryl motions for Rick to come in. Rick walks in as Judith babbles.

"Sorry to barge in. Judith here won't sleep. Michonne normally gets her to sleep but she passed out when y'all got back from the run." Rick bounces Judith on his hip as she blows spit bubbles.

"Here, let me try." I walk over to Rick and take Judith. She giggles and smiles at me.

"Alright baby, its time for sleep." I cradle her in my arms just like how I use to when Jay couldn't sleep as a baby. She gets quiet and looks at me with a blank expression.

"That's right. Night night time." I sway my hips to rock her to sleep. I hum the sweet tune I always did for Jay. Words soon flowed out softly.

🎵 Carry on my wayward son
There'll be peace when you are done
Lay your weary head to rest
Don't you cry no more 🎵

Her eyes were getting heavy and soon closed. I could feel her small heartbeat in my hands and hear her light snoring. I smile down at her and cherish this moment.

"Wow." Rick says. I look up at him and hand Judith back to him.

"How?" He asked as I laughed lightly.

"You don't bounce a baby to get them to sleep. You sway or rock them gently. That was Jay's favorite song as a baby. It gets her to sleep quick. Still does to this day." I walk back over to Daryl.

"Thank you. If Michonne can't do it anymore can I bring her here?" Rick asked.

"She can stay some nights here if you want. I'd be happy to have her here. Maybe that will give you guys sometime and space." I say as Daryl nods his head in approval.

"I will definitely be doing that. Thanks. Goodnight guys." Rick laughs lightly heads over to the door then stops and turns to face us.

"Congrats." He then heads out the door.