The third wheel

| Part two |

   I was currently sitting the the back of the car, while Rachel and Percy sat in the front. I had already turned 15 and had finished the 8th grade.

   It's was August and we were on a vacation to a private beach on south shore. Percy was driving but he wouldn't get his drivers license till next week. He was also allowed to invite Rachel and I started to feel like a third wheel.

   "Pull up here!" She said.

   We parked over looking the Atlantic, it was really nice as it was glittering green and looked like glass.

   "So, about that invitation." Rachel smiled, I wasn't included in the said 'invitation' but she invited Percy to her vacation house for three days in St. Thomas.

   "Oh...right."

  A vacation would've been nice but we were on call for a mission. Percy was going to turn 16 next week and the prophecy was going to take place.

   "Percy, I know the timing is bad. But it's always bad for you right?" All I could do was huff. She was making things difficult and I wasn't even invite and she was talking about it in front of me.

    "I really want to go," he promised. "It's just-"

"the war."

   I rolled my eyes and leaned forward to turn on the radio. Percy slapped my hand before I could and I sat back down annoyed. Me and Percy were way over the sweet and kind stage of having a new sibling and we're way comfortable around each other now. Which entitles the petty disagreements sometimes that siblings have.

    They went on with their conversation and Rachel said "Just think about it, okay? We don't leave for a couple of days. My dad..." Her voice faltered.

  "Is he giving you a hard time?" Percy asked.

   Rachel shook her head in disgust. "He's trying to be nice to me, which is almost worse. He wants me to go to Clarion Ladies Academy in the fall." Yuck I couldn't imagine going to that. I was the type of girl to call people 'dude' and 'bro' and throw up the peace signs randomly.

   "The school where your mom went?" Percy asked

     "It's a stupid finishing school for society girls, all the way in New Hampshire. Can you see me in finishing school?"

     "He thinks if he does a bunch of nice stuff for me, I'll feel guilty and give in."

   "Which is why he agreed to let me come with you guys on vacation?" The one I wasn't invited too.

    "Yes...but Percy, you'd be doing me a huge favor. It would be so much better if you were with us. Besides, there's something I want to talk—" She stopped abruptly.

   I assumed she stop because I was in here and prayed to the gods for this just to be over with.

   "Something you want to talk about?" Percy asked.

   "You mean...so serious we'd have to go to St. Thomas to talk about it?"She pursed her lips.

    "Look, just forget it for now. Let's pretend we're a couple of normal people. We're out for a drive, and we're watching the ocean, and it's nice to be together."

   "While ignoring the chick in the back." I said.

"exactly." Rachel said sticking out her tongue at me.

   "Okay," Percy said. "Just a normal afternoon and two normal people ignoring the little sister in the back."

    She nodded. "And so...hypothetically, if these two people liked each other, what would it take to get the stupid guy to kiss the girl, huh?"