“A little.” She smiled at him and my heart rate increased. She has to be kidding! “Not as good as you.”

“We were born in Germany.” He laughed, looking at me.

“Oh, I didn't know that!” She extended her hand. “I'm Janice.” He shook it, still smiling.

“Nice to meet you.”

“I didn't know you were German, Mika.”

“Yeah well...” I said.

“Your not related, are you?” Janice asked.

“What?” Kryzstofer asked, no longer smiling.

“Of course we are.” I said.

“Really?” She stepped back. “Blood siblings?”

“No,” I looked at Kryzstofer. Of course no one would believe someone as beautiful as him would be realated to me. “But we grew up together.”

“I knew it!” Janice smiled to herself. “Sorry, I hate it when I do that.”

“Me too.” I muttered. “Sit.” I smiled and pointed to the sofa.

“Thanks.” She sat down. Kryzstofer stood by the window sill looking out, eyes distant.

“You wanted to talk to me..” I prompted.

“Oh, yeah.” Her hands bundled in her lap, something she did when she was nervous. I reached out and steadied them. “Sorry.”

“Take your time.” I looked at Kryz. “Is something wrong?”

“I see things!” Janice said rapidly.

“You see things?” I asked. “Like what?

“Shadows, things in the corner of my eye, things around other things. You know, un-normal stuff.” She laughed nervously.

“Since when?” Kryzstofer asked turning toward us.

“A few weeks.” She looked at me. “I'm going crazy, right?”

I shook me head. “I'll make us some coffee?” I patted her cheek and stood.

She wasn't crazy. Shadows, thinning veils, Lifestreams, spooks, Nocs, and so many other things humans shouldn't know crawl about their homes, I see them all. I see Spooks, with their long nails, trace the backs of human given them chills. Nocs trip and provoke havoc in crowds with their tree limb like horns. I have learned to block these creatures out to avoid being detected. If they know a Reaper in their territory they will hunt to kill. One of those mortal enemies situation that no one knows how it began.

In the Kitchen I looked around for a coffee pot before remembering I didn't have one.

“Why don't you let me worry about the coffee and you go back to your friend.” Kryzstofer said as he walked into the kitchen.

“Kryz,” I grabbed his arm as he passed by me. “it didn't mean anything, whatever it is you saw.”

“Now is not the time Mikaela.” He tried to slip pass me, probably could too if he wanted to. My hand still on his arm I turned him around.

“When is?” I stepped closer to him.

“We have all of time in the world, she does not.” Taking back his arm and moving from me, he began to look through magazines to get a clear picture of a coffee machine. I went back to the living room where Janice was, looking rather lost.

“Your bro is hot!” She exclaimed as I sat down next to her.

“Yeah he is.” I admitted. “What?”