Chapter 27

Chapter 27

The moment I entered my apartment, I felt a chill. The chill then led to a frightening feeling that crept along my spin and I swear I could feel the hair on the back of my neck stand. I saw the mess and immediately knew something was wrong. Everything was thrown on the floor, my furniture was in shambles and papers scattered here and there. There was nothing-left standing but a lone figure in the center of the room.

Kryzstofer.

I looked at him, wide eyed, waiting for an explanation. When none came, he seemed to be in his own little world, I closed the door behind me and slowly, stepping over the debris, approached him. He jerked in surprise as I reached out to touch his shoulder, turning him to face me. He looked at me, then, as if for the first time, at the room. His puzzled expression told me he hadn’t been the one to do it. He couldn’t fake an expression like that!

“What happened?” I asked looking around the room. “I was gone for, like, ten minutes.”

“I... don’t know,” he replied softly. “I was talking with Hadrian.”

He looked around the room, his eyes searching for something in particular. They landed on an object near a window. He stepped around me and crouched down on the floor, his eyes examining the object while I went to the kitchen and my room only to be disappointed. Apparently, who ever had searched my home had decided to exact revenge on my poor babies. My books, all 150 of them, were torn to shreds. Pages on the floors, covers ripped and scattered.

I groaned as I exited my room, my Dorian Gray in my hands. Kryzstofer was still by the window, his head tilted to the side in concentration. I looked at him curious, what could have attracted his attention so much?

“What did you find?” I asked eventually.

He looked at me and then at the object and said, with a commanding voice, “We need to stop Janice. Now.”

“Janice?” I asked shocked. “Janice did this?”

The girl could barely keep herself together, how was she able to tear up my entire home in less than ten minutes and disappear without bumping into me? She wasn’t that smart, either. But since her power was revealed perhaps she used it to do this. How, though? There was no way she could’ve done this, not on her own at least.

We spent three hours picking up wood from furniture, pages from books, glass from picture frames and everything in between. Thankfully my Kindle and laptop hadn’t been destroyed or I would’ve marched right down stairs, avoiding Alec of course, and kicked her pink haired arse. Eventually, after everything was cleared and bagged, we sat in silence on the floor since the couch and chairs were no longer usable.

I stretched out my sore back muscles and sighed. I needed to find a job to get enough money to replace all that was broken. I wonder if being a reaper pays well...

“It pays about as much as baby sitting you does,” Kryzstofer said with a chuckle at my side. I bumped his shoulder and leaned my head on it.

Immediately, as if it was his second nature, he wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me closer. He pulled me into his lap, between his legs, and hugged me. I let him, relishing the feel of his chest as it rose with each breath. Did he know how irresistible he was sometimes? I rested my head against his chest and closed my eyes. How could something like this bring us closer together after breaking my heart into a million pieces with mare 7 words?

We remain in that position for a long time, neither wanting to break the spell or the comforts of being in each other’s arms. I loved the warmth that radiated from Kryzstofer’s body and his breath hitting my skin in an alluring way. I turned to him, our eyes meeting, and sighed.

“We have to talk, eventually, you know?” I said. “You can’t just hug me and expect me to forget everything.”

“I wasn’t,” He said shaking his head. “This intimate gesture wasn’t so that you would forget our previous conversation. It was a spur of the moment. But yes, you are right. We must talk.”

He pulled away, standing up, leaving me into recline back on the wall. I groaned having grown confortable in his embrace, and got up after him. He helped me up, seconds later, and then, unexpectedly, pulled me into another embrace. I didn’t protest and wrapped my arms around him.

“I never lied,” he said. “I do love you.” He paused and sighed into my hair. It seemed we kept sighing a lot. Sighing every time we talked, everything we looked at each other or embraced one another. He pulled away, cradling my face between his slender hands. I turned my face and kissed his palm, airing him to continue.

“I love you,” he repeated. “I am in love with you. But... we are not meant to be. No human can ever be with an angel.” I opened my mouth to speak but he pressed him thumb to my lips and silenced me. “Angels are meant for angels, not humans.”

I stood there, his thumb pressed to my lips, and said nothing. What was I supposed to say, really? That I accepted this revelation, this law? I wasn’t going to lie to him and tell him that I was all right with his sudden revelation after nearly 200 years of loving him. But I couldn’t say the opposite either, that would make it sounds like I was jealous or something, which I was but he already knew that. He knew what I would feel, what I felt, even before I did.

And that is what true love is, not a regulation or a saying made millions of years ago but a feeling. I knew I loved him, I knew it with all my human heart and no angel was going to tell me any different. If Kryzstofer wanted to believe in that stuff, he can go right ahead, but me?

“No,” I muttered against his thumb.

He tilted his head; an amused smile on his lips and said, “What?”

I pushed his hands away, taking a step closer and said, “No.”

His smile vanished a moment later, replaced by a cynical grin that I’d never seen before. He pulled me against him, chest to chest, his hands on the small of my back and kissed me. As he pulled back, my eyes still closed in shock more than pleasure, he whispered against my lips, “Well good them!” before kissing me once more, this time with more fervor than before.

What y'all think? Ima end up re-writing Forever Now when its all set and done, so next year, by march i hope, this chapter will be way better and longer!!