Chapter 32

Chapter 32

“I had to get back before he had another emotional episode, with or without Franco it would happen, I could feel it.”

I headed back home rather sullenly but eager to find out if anything new had happened with Kryzstofer. Arriving I realized the apartment was cleaner than usual... almost like someone had taken up to cleaning every last inch of space.  Everything was practically oozing cleanliness and it scared me. Taking careful steps into the apartment, I called out Kryzstofer’s name with no response from him. I was putting my bag down when he came running (yes, running) towards me a frantic look on his face.

“No!” He yelled. “I just cleaned there!”

I stood there dumbfounded as he took my bag and set it down, distastefully, on the floor by the door. I blinked at his appearance that I’d just realized had almost turned back to normal... well, normal for him. A loose white shirt, hanging of the shoulder at one side; going into tight blue jeans and brown work boots; his hair groomed back in a cowlick form except for a few strands of hair that touched his high cheekbones. His eyes held very little kohl but there was a bit of it surrounding his dark brown eyes.

“Your all better?” I asked slowly as he walked away, taking a hold of a broom by the kitchen. “or is this another one of your coping things?”

“I don’t really know,” he replied honestly. He swept the floor around me, before giving me a look. I moved and waited for him to continue talking. When he didn’t, I took it as a good sign since he wasn’t yelling or screaming at me.

I went to my room to change only to find a big surprise. My room was immaculate, as was the rest of the house, but it was also different in another way. My small, simple bed was replaced with a large KING size bed. Along the sides of the room there was new furniture that looked new. I tried to wrap my mind around the idea that maybe, just MAYBE, Kryzstofer was accepting that he was stuck down here for a bit and this was his way of making up for his harsh words.

I turned around, intending to find Kryzstofer, only to crash into his chest. Immediately, like old times, he wrapped his arms around my waist and smiled at me. His smile, so genuine it hurt, shone all the way to his eyes that looked around the room and back to me.

“What do you think?” he asked softly. “I wanted to make up for everything and I thought why not get something for both of us. That is if you want the bed to be for both of us.”

“Of course!” I yelled before I could stop myself. “I mean- yeah that would be acceptable.”

“I wanted to talk to you,” he said pushing me backwards until the back of my legs hit the bed frame. I sat down and waiting for him to continue. “I wanted to apologize for everything that has happened in the last few weeks. I realize that... that I haven’t been taking this – being human - as well as I should have. I have meditated on this subject and have come up with an answer.

“The reason I have had a hard time is because I... I never thought I’d have an opportunity to be like you, to have an equal standing to you. I never thought I’d be able to live in this world with you together... as more than me being your boss. I was- I am scared being this vulnerable, this weak but not for the reason’s you think. I’m scared that I won’t be able to protect you any longer. I’m just as weak and defenceless as you.”

“I may be a human but it doesn’t mean I can’t defend myself, Kryz.” I tore myself from him and walked to the window. Sometimes he made humans sound like worms or something. Just because we’re not magical born doesn’t mean we are not strong. I ran my hand through my hair and sighed. “We can protect each other but you have to let me in. I can’t keep waiting for you to let me in. I know you’re going through shit but... I love you. This,” I pointed between us, “hurts me.”

Kryzstofer was about to reply when Hadrian and Franco popped into the room. As always I blinked and missed how they could simply appear seemingly out of thin air. Hadrian reached over to me, putting his finger over his lips to motion for me to remain quiet while Franco reached for Kryzstofer’s hand. They looked into each others eyes, communicating in a way I did not like, before they both took to my side.

A moment later Hixak appeared, just as I looked to Kryzstofer questioningly. He took to Kryzstofer side, half his body protecting him, the other half protecting Hadrian. I had no time to question them because a moment later my front door was slammed open, making me jump and almost scream – luckily Hadrian has ninja skills and managed to clamp his hand over my mouth – and someone entered. There was a sniffing sound and footsteps before a silky voice penetrated over the think air.

“I know you’re in here... come out, come out, wherever you are!” the voice yelled. I tensed as I recognized the silky but hard melody of the woman who spoke. Kleopatra.

More footsteps were heard, approaching my room as if searching the entire apartment, as the guys around me locked their hands together and made a circle around me. Kryzstofer gripped my hand, his eyes darting to mine with a calming look. I exhaled sharply a breath I didn’t know I’d held in. He smiled a bit before leaning down and placing a tender kiss on my lips. I immediately felt all my worry fade, all the tension in my body left as I felt Kryzstofer’s heart beating when he brought our joined hands to his chest. He kissed my knuckles, his hot breath feeling magnificent on my skin.

“I’m coming to get you!” Kleopatra yelled so close to the room that it made me jump. “I found yo-“

The world around me faded, my vision blackened a moment before little stars exploded in my eyes as I took to our new location. At least I knew how the angel’s got around now, no wonder they needed longevity, the trip took so much out of me that the moment my feet touched ground and the hot bodies around me started to move away, I passed out. 

Who are Kleopatra's accomplices? any guesses?