Chapter Eight: Let The Punishment Fit The Crime

Start from the beginning

Aro suddenly coughed as his juice went down the wrong way. Bella jumped up and patted his back. When Aro got control, he smiled up at her.

"Feeling protective, aren't we?" Aro asked with a glint of amusement in his eyes.

Bella gaped at his ego. Just then the door opened, and Jane stepped in.

"There you two are!" She looked relieved to have found them. "Master Caius is ready and is waiting for you Master Aro.

Bella helped Aro to his feet and walked toward the throne room. "Lead the way Jane."

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

As they entered the great hall throne room, they noticed all the guard assembled. Marcus stood by his throne and Caius, respectively. After Bella gave Aro a pat of reassurance, she made her way up the throne and took her place beside them. Reneta walked over by the guard and took her place by them.

Soon, Heidi approached the three kings with robes in her arms. She helped each one on with their robe and they sat down. Aro stood to the right facing Caius with hands clasped together, waiting. The guard was all lined up along the walls wearing black and gray robes, and they stood watchful. Bella reached out to read Marcus's thoughts, trying to get an idea of what to do.

This is an official court proceeding. Even though you are typically the voice of the Volturi, Caius likes to judge and prosecute. So, he will take the stage here. Only speak when necessary. You will now start the proceeding. Repeat after me...

Bella stood up to address the room.

"We go forth in unity, seeking truth and justice for all vampire kind, let it prevail."

"Let it prevail." The guard echoed.

Bella motioned to Caius to proceed. Caius stood up and raised his hand and pointed at Aro.

"Who among you will stand up and witness for the human Bella?"

There was a murmuring in the crowd, then a few moved forward. Jane, Alec and Reneta stepped forward and stood by Aro. He looks at each face and smiled acknowledging them. Aro knew it was no small thing to stand up and defend a human, and he was proud of them.

Caius motioned at the guard by the doors. "Bring in the accused."

The guard Afton escorted in Sulpicia to the left to stand before Bella. She looked afraid about the room full of vampires. She never in all her existence had to stand on the other side, in place of a common criminal.

"Who among you will stand up and witness for Sulpicia?" Caius motioned with his hand addressing around the room.

Another murmuring went through the crowd. She looked hopefully and soon was let down. None of the guard came forward to Sulpicia's defense.

"I will stand by my sister." Everyone's eyes followed the figure of Athenodora as she moved from behind Caius's throne.

Her beautiful face etched in prideful determination. The torchlight gleamed in her blonde curls as she took her place beside Sulpicia and she nodded, smiling at her sister fondly. Athenodora stared straight ahead looking at Bella in a haughty fashion.

"State your name and your witness." Caius said motioning to the guard standing by Aro.

Jane stepped forward. "I am Jane Volturi, I was making my way down to Bella's room to guard as Marcus had requested, because he informed me of the threat that Mistress Sulpicia could be to her. She was extremely hostile to Master Aro and they both feared for her safety. I came upon the scene of the crime after Master Marcus had ripped off Sulpicia's arm. I observed that Bella was in danger of bleeding to death." Jane finished and stepped back.