Chapter 9- Demons

Life shoots crazy things at you. Then you dodge the bullet. But instead, my reflexes weren't fast enough, and it hit me before I even noticed the gun.

I thought that my life was as active as a dormant volcano. Well, I think it's safe to say that I don't believe that anymore.

You know the saying in Aesop's Fable, 'Be careful what you wish for, lest it come true.' Oh, how I hate it. Because this is not what I meant!

Ironic, isn't it? I'm less happy than I was before.

I rubbed my hands against Steph's hot coco. If I keep rubbing harder, maybe I can make a genie come out of this cup!

I walked to my room, where I left her. I had my slippers on, my hair was picked up in a messy bun, and my light, thin blue robe was not warm enough for this weather. Why I am I always so unprepared?

I sat on my bed next to her and handed her the coco and a box of Kleenex. She didn't say a word. She just looked at Leo and occasionally wept. Leo peaceful slept on her lap and snored. Lucky cat.

I blinked quickly to adjust to the different light in my room. I could imagine my pupils reacting to the light by constricting. Always thought it looked cool.

Her mascara was all smeared and her eyes were all puffy. Her lips were pouted, and her face was drenched in tears.

Meanwhile, I was going insane.

I usually enjoyed the stillness of the room, but her silence was worse than a shrieking child. My head was pounding, and I swear, my eye was twitching.

"Steph, take as much time as you need. But I'm going to let you know that I'm going crazy here!" I tried to not sound like a lunatic.

Patience, Kenzie.

Silence isn't golden, patience is.

She sniffed and finally said, "So you know how Frank is out of town, right?" I nodded.

Wait.

"If you're here with me, and Frank's out of town in a business trip, who's with Paige!? Please tell me she's alive!" I begged. Yup, I'm awake.

"Frank's mother is taking care of her. The woman is slowly driving me crazy, too. If it isn't my cooking skills, then it's my style in clothing! The woman criticizes and watches my every step like a hawk!

"When I try to calm Paige down, she takes her away from me and does everything. I don't think that I even feel any type of bond with Paige! I feel useless, like I know nothing at all.

"I'm tired. I haven't slept in what seems like a month. I feel sore, my stomach has those damn stretch marks, and the extra baby weight is just so hard to get rid of." She ranted and sighed.

"Breathe, just breathe. Tell her that you need space to make your own little mistakes. If you need help, you can always ask me." I told her.

I tried my best to support her. I'm not good with advice or feelings I haven't experience, but I tried my best. For her.

"Think of all the good things in your life, Steph. Not many people have everything you have. Live in the moment, one day at a time. Don't think about tomorrow, because it will come, and you will get through it.

"You're new at this and every mother goes through the same thing. Also, you don't look fat! In fact, you're going to wear my Wonder Woman costume. It looks better on you than it will ever look on me."

"No! It's too big."

"I'll sew it. You aren't going to get away from this easily." I fired back at her and smiled.