Chapter 1-Just Drop It

I wasn't always like this. I remember the days that I felt like I was at the top of the world. I used to be happier. I used to feel whole. I miss those days, those moments. But things have changed. People have changed. And I have, too.

One person who hasn't changed is Aliana.

I want to grab her head and shave off all her pretty, caramel hair. Maybe gag her with a sock or something.

Aliana continued to nag me about which of us would be Olithia's maid of honor.

"I will clean the bathroom for a year, and I'll do the dishes for a month, please!" she pleaded with her sky-blue eyes.

 "Lia," I said.

 "I will never trust you with porcelain or glass again. Remember when you came to my mom's place and you dropped her china! Elena was so furious steam ejected out of her ears, but, of course, she kept her composure because it was you. Plus, if you do the toilet for a year you would regret it."

We were in my kitchen. James, my brother, was sitting on my large counter, his nose glued to his phone. His flawless blond hair fell into his eyes again, and his eyebrows were scrunched in concentration.

Aliana sat on a chair, playing with her nails. Her lush tinted hair fell around her face and her foot continuously tapped on the floor. I quietly observed the room, just as I had many times over the years.

My family room was a light purple and full of my paintings. From a blue and green forest to a painting of most of my friends in the carnival to a simple vase of lilies. 

The tv was turned on but no one was paying attention to the skinny blond reporter.

"Fine, but I won't stop bothering you until you let me be the maid of honor." I turned around. 

"For God's sake, Lia!" I snapped. "Olithia doesn't even know Carter will propose and who knows if she'll say yes, plus she chooses, not us!"

"I know that she chooses, but if she chooses you, then you can drop out and give me the job. How does that sound?"

"You do realize that she has more options."

"That won't stop me, I already have that all covered."

"Hello! James! Help me! Kiss her or something, I don't care, just make her stop!" I shouted trying to grab my ignorant brother's attention.

 My head was starting to pound and I was growing more irked by the minute. "I need Aspirin."

James was scrolling through social media on his phone and barely heard me. He murmured, "Lia, babe, continue annoying Kenzie."

Sometimes I forget we are related, how the hell is he my twin? Only God knows. We don't even look alike. The only thing we have alike is our eye color, a dark honey brown. His hair is straight and cooper blond while mine is wavy gingery brown with blond tips.

 Even our skin tones are way off, and people often mistook us for a couple whenever we went out. And that was always humiliating and disgusting.

Thank God Olithia and Carter entered my apartment because Lia shut her big, fat mouth from spilling the secret. He was serious about making it a surprise. A week ago, Carter threatened Olithia, saying, "I'm going to become an organ dealer, starting with your larynx, if you don't shut up!"

I asked Oli, "So what are you guys gonna do tonight? I thought maybe we could watch a movie or have one of those eating contests James always loses and has to end up doing the laundry." 

James said, "Well at least I didn't use to eat my nails."

I stuck my tongue at him, and he licked his hand and put his saliva on my cheek. Smacking his nose after complaining loudly about his breath, Carter gave me a glare and said with a harsh tone, " Kids, please, stop. We are going to dinner, remember!"