Chapter 9

We stop at the mansion and I am escorted to a pair of double doors, which they open and close behind me. Snow is waiting.

"Miss Moreno."

"What could you possibly want?"

"I have invited you here to make you an offer."

"An offer? I'll die soon, whatever could you offer me?"; I laugh humourlessly.

"Take a seat. Miss Moreno", he states firmly and I slowly lower myself onto the seat.

"I need you to kill somebody for me", he says, folding his hands on the table.

I scoff. "So now I am not only your prostitute but your assassin too? I don't think so."

"Let me rephrase that. You will kill someone. In the arena."

"Most likely, yes. But I won't do it for you. Not ever."

"And if I could assure you that Finnick Odair lives?", Snow says slowly, waiting for my reaction.

"Then I'd say you're lying."

"I might have not given you many reasons to like me, but I have never lied to you, Miss Moreno."

"That is very different to trusting you with Finnick Odairs life."

"Oh Miss Moreno, I know of your dalliances with Finnick Odair", he says, "oh don't look so glum, it took some time to see the replacement of the videotapes, but I do not particularly care, it benefits me. In situations like these", the President says, eyes fixated on me, hands folding together - "I could make sure that Finnick Odair will be excluded from any future services towards Capitol Citizens."

I let that sink in. The offer on the table.

"And who exactly is it that would be part of that offer, just theoretically."

"Katniss Everdeen."

I chuckle lowly. "The girl on fire. Are you really that scared of her?"

Snow grimaces.

"No. Not scared. Annoyed. She has put a rather, difficult idea into peoples heads. People she does not care about. And as of right now I am tired of signing execution orders."

"Only you would find the most tiresome about an uprising the execution orders."

"Well, I have one all ready for you. Aiding rebels is a punishable offence."

My eyes narrow. How would he know that. There are no working cameras in the victors village. I made sure of that.

"So, Miss Moreno what do you say?"

"I say that I hate you and don't believe a word you say."

"I always made sure you know that I stand by my word. I thought your grandparents were lesson enough. You know better than anyone."

I am over the table and the dagger to his throat faster than he can blink.

"I do know. But what you don't know is that I swore to myself that I would avenge the people I loved. And look at this, I can do that, right now. I just need to put a little bit more pressure onto your throat. How does it feel, Snow? Being so close to death", I hiss, putting a little bit more pressure onto his throat, little droplets of blood running down his neck.

"The pressure on your throat. Is it uncomfortable? You know, many of these men you granted favours, they loved choking me. Tell me, Snow. Do you fear death? Are you afraid that if there is an afterlife you will get what you deserve? Are you afraid of pain?"

The president seems to have to gather his thoughts for a second. And that itself makes me proud.

"You believe that everything can be controlled through fear. But remember that hatred and hope are stronger. Remember that every single victor is stronger. Stronger than you. And every single one of them would be happy to kill you. I could do it for them."

The president smiles.

"Talisa. We both know that, if you kill me, somebody else will take my place. Many people would love that. But it would change nothing. It would only mean that you have more blood on your hands."

I take the knife from his throat.

"You underestimate me president", I growl and with that plunge the knife into his shoulder, inches over his heart, but not deadly.

His white suit turns red and I smile, his blood tinting my hands. He laughs.

"We will see each other again", I whisper.

"Think about that deal, Miss Moreno. I am sure you'll find a way to let me know."

I ponder over the President's words, his offer. Was Finnick's life worth selling my soul to him? Yes. Of course he was. He was worth everything.

"Talisa. We are here", the driver says and pulls me out of my thoughts.

"Oh, thanks", I mumble, not knowing what else to say. I open the door and scoot out.

"Good luck."

The lights are dimmed in the entrance hall, but I do see a person waiting by the elevator. I get closer and recognize the District 12 mentor.

"Haymitch!", I call out and he flinches.

"Sorry. Where are you coming from?", I apologise.

"Nowhere, I was just...uhm. I had a meeting", he mumbles and I raise my eyebrows.

"Sure."

We step into the elevator, where the light is brighter and Haymitch's gaze falls upon my hands.

"What happened to you?"

"I also had a meeting. With Snow."

Haymitch's eyes widen.

"Sweetheart. Please tell me you didn't do what I think you did."

"I didn't kill him, if that is what you think, I am not that stupid. I just stabbed him a little."

Haymitch laughs and I grin, reassured by his reaction.

"What did he want?"

"He offered me a deal. I think he is getting nervous. But we will see."

Haymitch seems to ponder over a few thoughts but then shakes his head ever so slightly.

"Yeah, we will see how it goes after all this shit."

I step off on my floor.

"Good Night Haymitch."
"Night Sweetheart."