Chapter 80

Miranda's POV

I rode with Thranduil until we reached the end of the soldiers. "Bard," I said, gaining his attention. "The only safe place in this battle is the mountain. I must take something there, because if the orcs retrieve it, the future will be all but lost."

I nodded at Thranduil and rode for the tents. When I reached it, I grabbed my pack, turning right around and riding for the mountain. Bilbo escaped last night without being seen, now I could only hope that I could do the same.

Thranduil rode up to me, blocking my path. "What is it you have?"

I looked across his features, "A dragon egg."

Thranduil looked at me shocked, "Then you must ride." He spoke, maneuvering his great steed around to join his warriors.

~*~

During the conversation before the battle, I made it halfway to the mountain. Knowing fighting would soon ensue, I drew my sword, but I was not facing the dwarves or the elves. Only the mountain loomed before me. I urged Rochben into a walk, some movement was better than none.

"-I'll split his pretty head open! See if he's still smirking then!" Dain shouted.

"Maniac," I mumbled to no one in particular.

I was tuning out most of the exchange until I heard, "Send in the goats!"

"Good lord," I muttered. "I can see Dain hasn't changed a bit." I watched as Thranduil sent arrows flying in response. As the arrows were shattered into pieces, I took off again towards the mountain, doing my best to ignore the cries of falling soldiers.

~*~

Once I reached the mountain, I found the rope Bilbo had used, and began climbing up it. Suddenly, I could hear a weird sound. "Oh, not now," I whined. Below me, the fighting stopped as everyone turned their attention towards the strange sound. I took my chance and carefully climbed onto the ramparts as the earth-eaters forced their way into the open.

I pulled up my hood and surrounded myself in darkness. I glanced once more at the surrounding dwarves before turning and running farther into the mountain.